1,323 Posts
Right now I am at embarassingly low 13:

1 Betta
4 Dwarf Loaches
2 Yo-yo Loaches
2 Sterba's Cories
3 Otocinclus cats
1 Queen Arabesque Pleco

Our town had a problem one day with a water main breaking and it contaminated our system and they did not get the word out to all of us that they had put some REALLY strong stuff in the supply to clean things up. Naturally I chose that day to change the water in my big tank and I lost all my fish. The dechlorinating agent did not touch the stuff they used and since it did not smell any stronger than the regular chlorine I was totally unaware of what I was doing until I poured the first gallon into the tank and my fish went belly up immediately. I lost over $200. worth of fish in about 20 seconds. The tanks I had topped off before this were not so severely affected but the fish were sick and I eventually lost some of them as well. Overall I lost most of my fish population within a couple of weeks and I did not have the option of changing the water as the whole town was without drinking water or any water for personal use for a week unless you bought bottled water and the stores supply was quickly used up. Unfortunately they would not allow for water to change fish tanks. It was a long week.

Rose

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
What a heartbreaking experience that must have been. I'm careful of the water here for water changes. They switch back and forth between well water and Seattle city water (best in the world IMO). The well water smells funny so I never change water when I can tell its the well water. Tastes funny also.

Right now, I only have 16 fish. But I keep looking and researching for more. Still looking for what colorful compatible small fish I can put into my 8 gallon. I'm tending towards celestial pearl danios. But they aren't available. By the time I made up my mind, they were all sold, and not on anyone's current list to be able to order. (sigh)

·
Newly infected with MTS.
46 Posts
We only have 6 fish at the moment, in a newly cycled 55 gallon tank: 3 Silver Dollars, 1 Gold Gourami, 1 Opaline Gourami and 1 Rainbow Shark.

·
Registered
49 Posts
9 in the 55g cichlid tank, and 6 in the 10g tetra/guppy tank

Will be adding a few more to the cichlid tank within the next months or so

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
I have about 400 fish counting endler fry. Sold a bunch of endlers before winter so its down from about 800. I also have 39 bristlenose, 44 cories, 5 ruby greens, 12 julies, 3 nicholsi, 5 angels, 2 rams, 2 driftwood cats and several cherry and yellow shrimp. 3 assassin snails, oh yes 10 khuli loaches. 2 wild betta pictas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can't count them all I have so many, but then I have a lot of babies as well.

In young adults and adults I probably have over 70 angels at any time. Keeps me busy

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I was breeding angels I had over 1,000 fish for a couple of years. Currently I have 3 angels and 3 corys in a 55 gallon tank. I do a lot less water changing these days. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
bet you do!

Yes it can be a lot of work raising all these guys. I don't count any more! Just one spawn is 200 to 400 and I try not to have too many going on at one time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
necessarily, it can be the water quality, not saying you have bad husbandry but the water is not what it was years ago.

If you pull the eggs and hatch in hydrogen perioxide bath and you get a great hatch out then you would want to investigate what might be wrong in the parents tanks.

I have some pairs that have parent raised for months then this winter everyone is having troubles. I generally will do a sanatizing of the tank and the parents to see if that takes care of the problem. PP is best but I have a color tint issue and it is safer for me to use the hydrogen perioxide

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
i have 3(soon to be 4) tanks: 1 FW 45gal long with 1 Tiger Oscar, 1 Albino Oscar, 4 Giant Danios, 1 Weather Loach, 1 Blackfin Cory, 1 Corydoras melanotaenia(not sure what common name is), 2 goldfish, and a shoal of feeder guppies. A 12gal Hexagon used as a feeder guppy refugium. A 125gal with 17 Cherrystone/LittleNeck Clams, 3 featherworms, a few snails, 3 mummichog minnows, 2 snowflake morey eels, 1 dogface puffer, and we just added a royal gramma today. tank #4 will be an Amazon BioTope.

·
7,685 Posts
necessarily, it can be the water quality, not saying you have bad husbandry but the water is not what it was years ago.

If you pull the eggs and hatch in hydrogen perioxide bath and you get a great hatch out then you would want to investigate what might be wrong in the parents tanks.

I have some pairs that have parent raised for months then this winter everyone is having troubles. I generally will do a sanatizing of the tank and the parents to see if that takes care of the problem. PP is best but I have a color tint issue and it is safer for me to use the hydrogen perioxide
Oh how I know, everything has changed so much over the years. One thing here in Tulsa, they don't treat the water with chlorine or chloramimes but still use a water conditioner any way to help remove any metals that might be in the water.

My ph is 7.8 out of the tap, but we have found that if we soften the water they do better. So my tank is 50/50 ro/di and peat filtered. Nitrites and ammonia stay at 0, nitrates I have to dose for the plants or its at 0.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't think I have heard of a city that does not treat their water, good for you!

Have you read your water quality report to see what is in the water??

But with the mixed water your eggs should be getting fertilized just fine even if it was a little hard.

Our water is just aweful down here and I have a whole house water softener a huge carbon filter to protect the softener then in the house I have the r/o set up for myself and the fish. My water has had readings of 5 on my amonia test kits so it is a job and a half to pretect the equipment from damage.

Some folks are blessed with good water and then there is the rest of us!

·
7,685 Posts
I know what you mean. In the house we lived in before moving into the new house we had great water. ph was 6.4 out of the tap, I had to raise it for my livebearers. which is a lot easier to do.

I've been online to the water co. and everything checks out good. Drinking water out of the tap tastes good and glad it doesn't have that chlorine after taste. I use water directly out of the tap for most of my tanks, except for a few of the breeders then I use ro/tap mix. Like the angels, betta picta, and the bristlenose

1 - 20 of 23 Posts