Aquarium Forum banner

How many fish?

2K views 24 replies 4 participants last post by  Gamegurl 
#1 ·
Hello all,
l was wondering how many small peaceful fish would recommend to start off with in a 75 gallon aquascaped freshwater water aquarium after completing my nitrogen cycle.
Thanks

#3 ·
Thanks for always responding your the best.
I would consider myself in between a beginner and intermediate. The tank is planted fairly well about two weeks waiting on the nitrogen cycle.
I haven’t decided on the fish yet but I am thinking about danios tetras barbs or something compatible along those lines

#4 ·
Sounds great! around 7.3 to 7.6 should be a good range for ph. Barbs can be aggressive so have at least 10, that should spread out aggression to each other. I would go with cherry barb as they are somewhat smaller than tigers. Try to get fish for different levels. Looks so much better than all swimming same level. I would stay away from neons as they can be hard to get healthy ones. Diamond and lemon tetras are nice and usually stay mid tank. Stock slowly so not to overwhelm filter. Then add 5 to 7 cories for bottom .

#5 ·
Thanks again l have ph at 7.4 7.6 .
I would like as much a variety as possible even though I hear it’s not recommended how many different species in this category do you think l can pull off and how many of each. I know that’s a pain in the *** question.

#12 ·
Oh hey just to back track with another crazy question going with 10 fish each assuming that was with the the 3 selections l mentioned could l do 6 selections going with 5 each or 4 going with 7.
I am assuming a stocking amount of about 30
Fish with a average max growth of about 2 inches give or take

#14 ·
👍
Sounds great! around 7.3 to 7.6 should be a good range for ph. Barbs can be aggressive so have at least 10, that should spread out aggression to each other. I would go with cherry barb as they are somewhat smaller than tigers. Try to get fish for different levels. Looks so much better than all swimming same level. I would stay away from neons as they can be hard to get healthy ones. Diamond and lemon tetras are nice and usually stay mid tank. Stock slowly so not to overwhelm filter. Then add 5 to 7 cories for bottom .

#24 · (Edited)
It really depends on the individual fish. Angels are known to be more aggressive than most gouramis, but some gouramis are just flat out jerks, even if they aren't one of the more aggressive species.

OP, if you went with 8 each of the schooling fish, or decided on only one or two species of schooling fish, you could get a small group of 3 or so gouramis. I have 3 pearls in my 75g community, and I know of people who keep 5 or so of them in a 55g community. Just do your research and pick a gourami that is known to be mellow (no kissing gouramis, for example). If you wanted to add angels to the mix, you need to keep in mind that they could very well start bullying anything they feel like, particularly if they start breeding, so you should have a backup plan. Same for the gouramis, for that matter.

Angels will also probably chase danios and small tetras, and may end up eating them. Bigger barbs like tigers and bigger tetras would probably be fine, though then you might need to worry about them with gouramis if they're breeding.

Edit; also, I'm not sure bigger barbs in a large school is a good idea long term in a 75, as they're very active. Someone who knows more about barbs could probably tell you for sure, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.