Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I'm both new to the hobby of fishkeeping and this forum so thanks in advance for the help!

I have a small 3 gallon tank setup and am in the process of cycling the tank. Once the water levels are appropriate I'd like to introduce 4-5 Endlers Livebearers (Seem to have lower bioload so trying to add a bit more than 3) and a nerite snail (to be added later). All males to avoid breeding.

My question is - since this is a new tank do I need to introduce a single fish to start? Or because of the lower bioload am I okay to introduce the small group of Endlers all at once? I'll probably have to order these fish online and I'm trying to avoid piecemealing such small numbers if possible :)

·
Registered
Community Tank
15 Posts
Right right, but I mean after the tank is cycled then am I okay to introduce them at all once, or do I need to stagger it?
The bio filter In any aquarium will only ever be as large as the bio load. Meaning that you may have preformed a "fishless cycle" and have a good biological filter established. But how much capacity does it have?? I don't know of any way to measure that. So I always add my fish slowly to allow the bio filter time to adjust to the load. With just a couple of fish the bio filter will only be as large as the amount of "food" those fish supply it. And as the amount of "food" increases, number of bacteria that make up the bio filter will increase. And if the load goes down meaning less "food" is available, the bacteria colony decrease in size proportionally. One could overcrowd an aquarium with fish as long as the bio filter was of a large enough size to hold the amount of bacteria nessecarry to "eat" the waste produced by the fish and still keep the water quality in check. But there may not be enough room in the tank for swimming and for the fish to feel comfortable. Just always allow time for your filtration bacteria to catch up with the load of more fish. I'm not advocating over stocking, just trying to explain that the bio filter will only ever be as large as the load. And it takes time for it to increase when adding fish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts