Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to Des Moines to visit my grandparents for the holidays. While up there, I usually visit a Pet store up there. They have amazing fish up there, but I never thought I could get them. How long could a fish last in a bag. It is about a 2.5 hour drive from my house up there. Is that too long of a trip for a fish to survive? Any other things I should acknowledge?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
i've heard of cory cats surviving long trips in jars, but i'm not so sure with other tropical fish.

Reactions: eaglesfan3711

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If they are bagged with oxygen, if you store them in a icooler and keep it dark (less stress), if it cold weather you will want to get a heater pack for the cooler, check to see when they were fed last... (Water Quailty). they should be fine. explain to the store owner that you are transportign them for more than 3 hours. When they ship fish the fish are in the bags for more than 24 hours.

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats great! Hopefully I'll be able to get out there. There is one place that is a fish specialty store, and they sell my favorite fish that is no longer sold here...black swordtails. With how my luck has been going with swords lately, they should do really well! Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The amount of air in the bag is more important than the amount of water. Certainly you must have enough water in the bag to cover the fish adequately, but I have gone to the Atlanta Club auction on a Saturday, and didn't get the fish in the tank at my house until Sunday Evening until Sunday evening, and they were fine! :fish-in-a-bag:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts