Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have my tank going for 2 weeks now. i have had an ammonia spike the ammonia has not gone down and no nitrites yet. i didn't add anything from an established tank, i also have been testing water every other day. is common for it to take this long, i was kinda hoping to see a nitrite start to spike by now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you're worried about the cycle, I suggest dosing with StressZyme. It's basically a mixture of bacteria that use the ammonia and nitrite as food. I dose my tanks about once a week for 4 weeks, after that the cycle tends to be done, and the population established. Also, I recommend dosing if you add more than 1 fish to the tank, to help with the increased bioload.

Also, I don't know if it works any better, but I tend to put half the recommended dose in the tank water, and the other half in the HOB filter unit, to kind of straight-shot it into the filter pad.

·
Registered
756 Posts
It is usually about 2 weeks to get the first population of bacteria to grow, then 1-2 more weeks to get the other that breaks nitrite to nitrates. Total time is usally around 3-4 weeks. It also depends a bit on other factors like aeration and temperature of the water, but you should see a shift soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts