Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I brushed my net up against it and it retreated into the LR.

Will it harm my FOWLR tank inhabitants? (2 percula clown and soon-to-be 3 chromis who went into quarantine just today)

... oh and a cleaner shrimp.

·
~/root
661 Posts
they are fine. if you really wand rid of them you could inject them with lime juice. but technically speaking they don't do any harm

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's good news because of all the live rock in my tank, this one is the most diverse. It's covered with purple algae, mushroom, some green algae. I really didn't want to kill it.

·
~/root
661 Posts
I've read someplace that they can sting whatever is living on your live rock.........but i've never seen it happen personally. If you just buy a couple Peppermint Shrimp or a coral banded shrimp they will happily take care of the problem for you.

·
dankest chef u wont meet
52 Posts
I have a couple peppermint shrimp and for some reason they want nothing to do with this. it keeps spreading throughout the tank and getting on other live rock.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you feed your fish and mushrooms, are you spot feeding or are you clouding the water with food?
Woah, I'll need some explanation here. First, I have to feed my mushrooms? Second, I have two clown (not fully grown) and a cleaner shrimp (and a couple hermit crabs), so I feed them about a half cube of frozen preparation. Clouding the water? I don't think so. I just put the frozezn preparation in a small plastic dixie cup and run some warm water in it to melt it, then I pour it in.

I have 3 chromis in quarantine, they'll probably go in the main tank in the next few days.

Am I feeding them too much? I always wondered about this. I would cut back, but the two clown and shrimp are such piggies. They always 'act hungry'.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: I have two small hermit crabs in my tank who have decided glass anemone are delicious.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Glad your hermits took care of it. Glass anemones, or aiptasia, while very pretty, can become a nuisance rather quickly if you don't keep an eye on them. In some tanks their population is stable and small and in others it is large and uncontrollable; I think it just depends on the amount of food available to them. You're better off without 'em.

You don't need to feed mushrooms, but they look fantastic with biweekly feedings. Some mysis and/or brine shrimp always does the trick.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Update: I have two small hermit crabs in my tank who have decided glass anemone are delicious.
Good. A lot of times people will see one or two of these little guys and think "cool, free stuff." Then the two become four, then 10, then 200, and then you have a cool looking tank that is completely dedicated to breeding Aiptasia.

·
dankest chef u wont meet
52 Posts
I have found a lot of luck in just pulling the rock out of the tank and taking my cigarette lighter and burning them till they stop popping. As long as you just burn the aiptasia and not the rock you're fine.

·
~/root
661 Posts
i couldn't imagine moving my rock work.....1 rock gone and i have 280lb of LR crashing down. As it is stacked almost perfectly on top of each other. I think this is the case for a lot of people you will eventually have so much live rock they wont move it for anything.
IE: I had a 30 dollar green slimer frag that fell behind the ledge.....i wouldn't move the LR to get it. It died obviously but the point is sometimes moving rock is not an option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts