Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and hope to learn all I can from the experiance of all members here. I have had a saltwater set up before and am starting a new one. I would like to ask some input as to all the best and right equipment to use for my new reef. I have a custom glass tank. It is 32"x32"x20". Any ideas as to substrate, filters, skimmers, etc. I think I will be using something like Fiji live rock. So I await any help as to my set up............ Thanks ! :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
if i am correct your tank is 90 US gallons in size. for substrate use reef-safe sand and than pile up a small amount of crushed coral in a back corner as a pH buffer. live rock will do most of the bio filtration, a protein skimmer will do most of the chemical filteration, but than u can use either a reverse flow UG filter, corner filters, sharks filter-powerheads, or a H.O.B filter as mechanical filteration, which is an optional choice. u will need 90 lbs of live rock, a good full sprectrum lighting like T-5's or blue actnics, 2 5 gallon buckets, and a grave vacuum for water changes. u will also need quality salt mix, a hydrometer to measure SG, and test kits for pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, alkalinity, phosphate, and calcium. u will also need a calcium reactor to keep calcium levels up which is vital for corals. thats all my info on setting up the tank!

Reactions: malachi
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, petlover516. I pretty much know all I need. Guess I did'nt clairify good. I would like suggestions as to the type and brand names of items known to be of good quality. Stuff experianced people have used and are satisfied with their preformance. Anyway................ Like I said Thanks for the input !! :Fish_orange:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
ive heard that octopus 800"s and ASM's are good protein skimmers. the common seaclone is not as much quality of those 2. for test kits, i go API. actually see if u can get an aquaclear 110/500 and turn it into a refugium, and than use 2 corner filters as mechanical filters. i use siphon-kleen for vacuums. ive heard korallin and kalkwasser are the best calcium reactors. that is what i have noted from others on this forum who don't use this forum anymore.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, petlover. Great advise. I went ahead and ordered a Octopus 800. I really liked what I found out about them. I think I'll start out with a Eheim canister filter. Anyone have any advice as far as a wet and dry filter? :Fish_orange:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I personally like fluvals over eheims, but canisters arent really a "Reef tank Filter", if u can get 1 pound of live rock per gallon, that will be bio filteration, protein skimmer is chemical filter, and than after that all that is needed is some type of mechanical filter like said b4.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I personally like fluvals over eheims, but canisters arent really a "Reef tank Filter", if u can get 1 pound of live rock per gallon, that will be bio filteration, protein skimmer is chemical filter, and than after that all that is needed is some type of mechanical filter like said b4.
I follow u. I will be adding over 2# live rock per. gal. So what do you mean by mechanical filter. Some examples please......... :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
2 pounds per gallon is too much! heres a good link on to much LR:About.com: http://www.simplifiedreefkeeping.com/faq/11.htm
for mechanical filters, there are:
air-driven corner filters(take up space thus don't look neat)
motor-powered canister filters(long intake tubes go all the way to the bottom and they look a little un-neat and a little 2 powerful)
motor-powered hang-on filter(Good Choice for a refugium if u do a little work on one, but they don't move enough water to be a good filter in a SW tank)
motor-powered in tank filter(good for moving water like a powerhead while filtering the water at the same time, but look un-natural)
wet-dry filter powered by motor(GOOD CHOICE!, though they are quite expensive)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am sorry, I meant to say over 1# per gal. of rock. So for a filter how about a Eheim wet/dry ? :fish2:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
ok a wet/filter will top the filtration system off. 1 1/2 lb per gallon is the best amount for LR.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
alright anything else u need to know? fish suggestions maybe?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alright anything else u need to know? fish suggestions maybe?
Yea, some suggestions as to some coral safe fish would be neat. I won't be ready for livestock for a good while tho. I am just getting set up. I am trying to do this as best as I can so am going slow while looking at all angles. :cool:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
coral-safe fish would include clowns, dottybacks, damsels, tangs, grammas, basslets, certain kinds of wrasses, anthias, accessors, cardinal fish, blennies, gobies and darters.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Welcome and hope you enjoy it here. I know that I do.

Rose

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
ok anyother advice u would like?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts