Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi everybody! i am richie, petlover516's dad. it seems i was made a little infamous here...i have been in the hobby for exactly 35 years, starting with speedy the goldfish in a 10 gallon tank when i was 5. i was in the navy for 6 years, worked at petland discounts for 5 years, and worked at petstop for 1 year. as my son told u guys here, when i stopped working at petland discounts they stopped selling saltwater. coincidence? i don't think so. i also noticed my son said that i don't test my water quality. i do not test it with chemicals. since i was in the navy for 6 years, i got used to the smell of seawater, and thats how i test my water quality-pure smell, and even taste. for freshwater i don't test at all. just by having had so many tanks i have gotten used to the smell of pure freshwater as well. brackish water is something i rarely do, as there is not much of a variety of fish u can keep in brackish water. i have the following:

125 gallon saltwater tank with:
1 marble shark
2 snowflake moray eels
1 dog-faced puffer
3 mummichog killies
1 clarkii clown
3 feather-duster tubeworms
17 cherrystone clams and seafood clams
+an algae wall which i never scrub(saves alot of money, instead of using a refugium)

filteration:
104, 105, and 304 hagen fluval canister filters
2 box filters
1 shark internal filter
1 internal filter of some other kind
-and yes i have no protein skimmer:p

substrate:
crushed coral, riverstone, rainbow rock and sand all mixed together
-crushed coral is NOT a nitrate tap from my experience. i have had one of my snowflake eels for 6 years using this mix. yes i have nitrates that are above the limit for CUC invertabrates, but not for fish and i never do a water change ever. i only add cold tapwater(there is less chlorine in colder tap-water), and scrap off salt. whenever i add new salt, i use a little at a time to prevent toxiticy. i also use crushed coral because it is a pH buffer, provides alot of calcium, and traps algae. maybe the crushed coral does not kill my fish because i have so much algae in my tank.

live rock:
1 oz.-the hermit crab shell that is home to the 3 feather dusters

45 gallon long freshwater with:
1 oscar
1 flame gourami
1 weather loach
2 common goldfish
1 rosy barb(schools with the goldfish)
1 bronze cory catfish
1 schwortz cory catfish
1 pleco
2 iridescent sharks
20+ feeder guppies, slowly being picked off by the oscar
1 green hedge
1 brazilian swordplant
1 anacharis

filteration:
1 fluval 4 internal filter
1 box filter

substrate:
riverstone

i also have a 15 gal hex feeder guppy refugium with, of course, a bunch of pregnant gups and 1 male gup, powered by a penn-plax corner filter with riverstone gravel and a few live plants.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
welcome to the site...dad!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am moving up my 125 to a 180 next, and then to a 250, or whatever the shark needs, we plan on adding a mate for our current clown, a royal gramma, a neon goby, and i would really want to try an emp angel but i have heard that they peck the eyes out of a shark(this is suppost to happen with puffers, too, but our has never done so). any suggestions of something would be helpful. i plan on going to the LFS soon to get more LR, i only have 1 oz.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
Welcome to the site! An interesting technique you use to test your water. I do smell my water as well, and watch the fish to see if there could be a problem in water quality. I do test with chemicals when I feel there could be a problem. So far, no disease. But then I plant heavily with low - mod light plants that helps the cycle and water quality. It takes a great deal of experience to use your senses to test your water. Few people can do that. It used to be called 'flying by the seat of your pants' in the air force. Congrats on your success. And good luck with your upgrade.

·
Registered
23 Posts
May I also add that an Oscar needs atleast 55g for just himself!

45 gallon long freshwater with:
1 oscar
1 flame gourami
1 weather loach
2 common goldfish
1 rosy barb(schools with the goldfish)
1 bronze cory catfish
1 schwortz cory catfish
1 pleco
2 iridescent sharks
20+ feeder guppies, slowly being picked off by the oscar
1 green hedge
1 brazilian swordplant
1 anacharis

You are looking at 300g+ (Oscar = 55 (75g being prefered) the pleco probably 55g if it is a common that is 110g of fish right there) of fish if I am not mistaken... I am sure the ID sharks get over 16" long each so who knows how much they truly need... So i think some re=homing and upgrading needs to be done. Also corys or spined cats should not be kept with Oscars. The general rule is if they can fit into the Oscars mouth it will end up in there and can and will kill the oscar due to them getting lodged in the throats of the Oscar.

I am not flaming or griping... Just sharing information.

Goldfish should NEVER be kept with non goldies. They have a huge bio-load and do not tolerate the warmth of an O tank, as they are a cold water species. .

·
Registered
190 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I like how you test your water, never heard of it b4. But I gess if you know the smell it works, but can you smell the diff. b/t a high PH and a low PH. So can you like smell everything? I hope you enjoy the site.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
don't worry heather i got it all planned out. as the saltwater fish are transferred into bigger tanks, so will the freshwater fish. by the time the shark is in a 500 gallon, the freshwater fish will be in its footprint, whatever the tank size before it was. so far, the oscar has tried to attack the gourami, but has now stopped. o and i forgot to mention that there are also 4 giant danios. we have no heater so the tank remains a room temperature of 72.F, which the house has never gone below.

·
Registered
139 Posts
welcome! my dad was navy for 26 yrs( 4 yrs fleet reserve to finish out his 30) and yes when you have been around the smell of saltwater for that many years you just know when its right. i miss that smell. cant wait to get back to it.:shark:

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
Welcome aboard Malachi. Did you say you have only 1 ounce of live rock?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have run all my saltwater tanks with very little or absolutely no live rock. i have never used it before but i think i might use a little sometime soon caus my CUC never make it. my son (petlover516) is urging me to use it because he says that it will reduce nitrates so my CUC will survive but i am going cautious on it because i never had a problem without it and i am afraid something wrong will go on and i dont like using chemicals in my tank and i have heard that u have to add certain additives for live rock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts