Aquarium Forum banner

Hi from the UK

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  jrman83 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I was invited to visit you guys through youtube.

I'm from Manchester in the UK and have a reef tank with a few sps corals, a squamosa clam and a couple of LPS.

The tank is a 5x2x2 with sump, 5" DSB in the main tank and sump. I run a ca reactor and a deltec apf600 skimmer. Flow is from 2 tunze streams, lighting is 2x250w metal halides with actinics.

The tank's been running since October 06.

cheers,

Mark

#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

No, not my first reef, before this one I had a 350 litre corner tank for 4 years and before that I've been keeping marines on and off since 1978, but had a break when the kids came along in the early 90's.

Here's a shot of the tank taken a few weeks ago.

cheers,

Mark

Attachments

#4 ·
Beautiful!

I uploaded it to your photo gallery here on the site. Please use the gallery to upload photos so they don't get lost as the threads with attachments get buried. This way people can see all your pics from one place ;)
Aquarium Gallery - Login

You have excellent coral growth and the tank has beautiful colors!
Any advice you can give that you have learned over time?

#7 · (Edited)
Thank you and thanks for sorting the photo.

I should have posted this one first but here you go....

This was on the night I transferred the stock to the new tank. Nearly all the corals were grown from frags, which is the way to go with sps, you get the chance to watch them grow and transform into beautiful colonies, and the frags seem to be a bit more forgiving than aquacultured or wild colonies.

Advice....keep nutrients to a minimum, zero po4 and zero no3 if poss, keep stable params and good flow but not too much direct flow as this can have an adverse effect on the corals that get blasted. Also SPS do better without any softies IMO.

I lost the sailfin and the two clowns due to oodinium brought in by a powder blue, (major mistake and I regret it deeply) The foxface was rehoused just before xmas as he'd began to nip at the sps.

Thanks for looking.

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.