Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been reading up on this site for a little over a week now, and after reading lots of threads, I decided to join! *w3 My fiance told me he will be getting me an aquarium for Christmas, so I'm researching what I want. We live in an apartment, so unfortunately cannot get a massive tank :( I've decided on the 20L gallon tank; the size seems to be perfect for us and the space! I ideally want a "low tech" planted freshwater tank *Glasses*

So I'm apologizing in advance for all the questions and I'm glad to be a part of the team!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Ask as many questions as you need to, regardless of how basic you might think they are.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I've already posted a thread about hoods/lighting for the tank *Glasses* So if you have any suggestions, let me know!

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
welcome

Funny I have a 20g long planted. it's very low tech and easy to maintain

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really beaslbob? What kind of substrate do you have in it? I'm nervous to go the cheaper route with sand; afraid it'll get green with algae! I love the look of the eco-complete stuff, though it's pricey. I've always wanted black substrate :)

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
Really beaslbob? What kind of substrate do you have in it? I'm nervous to go the cheaper route with sand; afraid it'll get green with algae! I love the look of the eco-complete stuff, though it's pricey. I've always wanted black substrate :)
I have settled (for this year anyway *n1 ) on this substrate

1" peat moss ($10 a bale from building supply stores)
1" play sand ($3/50 pounds from building supply stores)
1" pc select (or aquarium gravel). Pc select is used in infields and I got it from a landscaping firm suggested by an email from the pro choice (pc) web site. It is a red/brown baked clay.

I put in one layer and fill that layer with water. Clean up the mess and level that layer then do the next.

I then put in plants and add water (over a saucer to prevent a dust storm) to the top of the tank.

For plants I would use 5-10 bunches of anacharis, 10 or so vals (can't spell valscyreoussessa;rposkf whatever *n1), 5-10 small potted plants and one or two amazon swords centerpeices. Tall plants in back and down the sides. Small potteds left and right, then the amazon sword centerpiece. (of course you may find a better arangment)

I then add one fish like a male platy

wait one week with no food added.

add a female (or two) and start adding one flake food per day.

In 6 months you will have a tank full of platys.

You can do the same for other fish like neon tetras. One at first then 4-5 the second week.

After three weeks you can add more fish.

I only feed lightly once per day.

no filter, no circulation (powerhead or airstone) straight untreated tap water, no water changes-just replace the water that has evaporated. Also use cold water that has been ran from the tap of 30seconds to a minute).

My 20g l had been running for 2 years now. I also have a 10 g that has been runing 7 years with descendent from the original cycle trio. And my wife setup a tank following that method a year ago with 5 glofish and 5 neon tetras.

For lighting, I recommend compact flourescent spiral bulbs 6500k from your local wall mart. On the wife's 10g we bought an incandescent hood and those bulbs fit in nicely. On my 20g L I use three bulbs in clip-on spot reflectors resting on an egg crate on the tank. Egg crate is the 1/4" square lighting diffusers used for drop ceiling and cost $12 for a 4'x2' section.

If the tank gets cloudy I just kill the lights for a few days.

Whatever you try we will be here to help you.

Welcome to the board.

sorry about long post.

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
Actually I just redid the 20g Long as my 1980 tank developed a leak. Unlike the process above I could not prevent "stiring" up the peat moss and the tank was a very dark brown mess at first. That was the peat moss. But in three days the peat moss settled down and now I have a nice dark substrate. I also have a feeling that any circulation or filter would just keep stirring up the peat moss.

my .02

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow! thanks for the info beaslbob! I'm going back and forth with the sand vs. eco-complete! Ahhh! Decisions! The fact that sand is soooo much more cheap is swaying me towards it. I plan on getting an aquaclear filter that's rated 200 gph. So I would imagine that it along with some cory cats would help prevent algae build up on the sand. I like the idea of over filtering the water rather than under. But the set up you have is great!

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts