Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My name is Jeff, I'm from Quebec city. I've had aquarium for quite a bit and I just moved to a new place where I can put a huge tank. I bought a 77G tank from some guy and I will have a few questions to set it up. First, how the hell do I get the Fluval 403 set-up and running? I'm used to the smaller filter and never have used these canister filter. I got weird plugs and tubing ... I'll try to take some pictures later today and post them, explaining how I want to set it up so if some of you can give me advice it will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Welcome!
The fluval has a lot of parts but once you figure out where everything goes, its pretty easy. The only thing is you need to fill it with water to get it going and you need to prime it up... the motor is on top of the unit and wont move water unless its submerged, so its moderately tricky to start the first time. After that, the shutoff valves in the lines keep it primed up for the most part so you can take the unit off and clean it out, and start it up easily once again.
We're here to help if you have some specific questions. Cheers and welcome aboard!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just uploaded some pictures into my profile. If anyone got a similar setup, it could give me some ideas as to how to plug the filter and the decoration of the tank. I want the tank to act like a separation in the room, so the space for the filter is little small.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Welcome Aboard! Is this a fresh or saltwater tank? The tank is looking good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
This tank is freshwater, maybe some days I will make a salt water with my remaining smaller tank. The guy I bought my latest kit from gave me all that's needed to make a one, so I might try it someday. I finally figured out how to start the filter. I know I should have waited longer, but I dumped the Oscar in there, the guppies I tested it with were doing fine. I want to have a lot of plants in there, thinking of putting lots of rocks in the middle to create hiding places(cavern) for the smaller fishes. I got a dwarf lily bulb from Walmart, I'll see if it grows, added some Iron in the water to help the few plants that are in there. You will hate me if I tell you how much I paid for this tank, just let me tell you that there is probably awesome deals available in the classified ads in your region, found mine on lespac.com .

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Will just becareful of the nitrate levels in the tank, as it take about 8 to 12 weeks to fully cycle a tank. I was looking at your pictures and I noticed that the tank is not very level in the pictures just something to look at from time to time. With a tank that big I have found that buying a plants is cheaper if you buy plant kit. You can find these at:
aquariumplants.com (these guys you can tell them the sytem you have ie WPG, CO2, ect. and they will select plants that fit your system)
Floridadriftwood.com (this guy real nice and sends an interesting selection - alot of bang for the buck)
Petsolutions.com (this place is in NE USA closer to you)
fosterandsmith.com
By putting plants in the tank they will help seed the bio-colony as the bac. is in the roots system......

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It is nice having you here with us all. Have fun posting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts