Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My name is Rusty, I started keeping salt water fish in my father in laws 135 gallon tank with hang on filters and poor lighting and I didnt have a clue what to do. I am sorry to say that my father in law likes things clean and used an undergravel filter. Yes, when he cleaned he really cleaned and then the fish died. I moved to CT and took his 55gal tank that he wasnt usind and set it up using the plenum method that I read about on GARF, if you havent been to their site you are missing out. It worked out great, I had a hang on filter that I took the biowheels out of and used a small hang on protein skimmer with a powercompact lighting system. Within 6 months the tank was really stable and everything looked great. So I brought my father in laws 135 here and built a stand, purchased a VHO lighting ballast and lights and set up the 135 while leaving the 55 still going in the dining room. Then I saw a 265 for sale and drove 12 hours to pick it up along with 3 400w medal halides and a pump and a 1000w titanium heater, what i didnt know i was bringing home was an extra $150 a month in electicity bills. So I build another stand placed the 135 on a plank on the floor, placed the stand on top of it and then placed the 265 on top of that. So now I have a 265 with a 135 gallon refuge with 5 inches of sand and a plenum and a 1000w heater with an aqua controller for the lighting that included 2 400w MH and 3 140w VHO lights and a huge power bill. It was nice but things got tough and had to sell animals and live rock and took it all down. Now the 55 gal is at my childrens science lab with a small reef set up with some fish that they are learning about and I am home with no fish. DEPRESSING. I have a 60 gallon horse trough that is cycling so someday soon I will have fish again. That is my story. Hope to meet you all soon.

·
dankest chef u wont meet
52 Posts
I've had tanks since I was in 8th grade and now I'm 22. I had a three year span with no fish, and it killed me. I just recently set up my first saltwater tank and am loving every second of it, I hope you get a new set up soon!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts