Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi . . . been round the fish sites and forums before. Have a 55 gal tank . . . had it for 12 yrs. Same power heads [2], filters[3], special gravel, etc. Currently have 2 parrot fish [one male, one female . . . lucked out with this one . . . are always laying eggs] Have one Jack dempsy, one p. algae eater. All fish are a good size . . . have had them all 6 / going on 7 yrs now. First set of fish was similar . . . had them for about 5 or 6 yrs . . . made the bad mistake [and I knew better] of putting son's one fish in tank without checking it. Wiped out tank.

In my second tank I have special gravel . . . [do not know name of it . . . got it with tank] that removes all nitrates, ammonia, etc. so I was told then and seems to be the case.

In my filters I use dark round sponges [that are I suppose filters for something else . . . got them at petsmart and thought would be a good filtering substrate instead of buying those cartridges all the time] and add carbon. Rinse them out on weekly basis. I do 1/4 water changes weekly and sweep gravel weekly. I clean power heads, entire filters probably once a month. I add uniodized salt to tank [very small amount] once in great great while. I also add water conditioners once in great while. No underground filter . . . don't believe in them. No air stones . . . power heads are way to go. The less cost to keep tank going the better.

My fish are happy . . . I am happy. Looking for a bigger tank one day. Got mine [55 gal.] . . . all set up with stand, filters, powerheads, gravel, etc for 125.00 in paper.

Hope we all have great chats together and we learn lots of stuff together!!!

X

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Welcome and we hope you love it here as much as we do. The nice thing here is there is always someone who shares the same interests as you do.

Sounds like you have a lot of good background and know quite a bit about keeping fish already and we look forward to getting to know you better.

Rose

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to all . . . I hope that we can all share info and learn from one another. I am sure that I will and cannot wait. Take care!

X

1 - 4 of 4 Posts