Aquarium Forum banner

hey iam new

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jwurm 
#1 ·
Hey Iam new to forums and iam new to the fish tank hobby but i always love the look of tank setups and fish themself. I have a 29 gal and a 55 gal and love to try diff things with freshwater and i wish i knew how to do saltwater but i dont. But can someone send me help to maybe a link of all terms of the hobby like hp and so on i know what it means but i wanna know all that i can ty.

#2 · (Edited)
Hello Silas313, haven't looked for a link, but I have been making a list of abbreviations for my brother and then saw your post. The list is below. If anyone sees any mistakes, please, please correct me. This is all I have.

AC - Activated carbon
ALK - Alkalinity, buffering capacity of water
Amm - Ammonia
BW - Brackish Water
Ca - Calcium
Cl - Chlorine
CO2 - Carbon dioxide
frag(s) - Broken or cut pieces of coral that grows
FW - Freshwater
Gal or G - Gallon
GAC - Granular activated carbonGH – General hardness
GPH - Gallons per hour
Gravid - Egg-laden
HD - High Density
HO - High output fluorescent light
HOB - Hang On Back or
HOT- Hang On Tank
Ich - parasite
LHS - Local hardware store
LFS - Local Fish Store
LPS - Local Pet Store
LR - Live rock
LS - Live sand
N2 - Nitrogen
Na - Sodium
NH3 - Ammonia
NH4 - Ammonium ion
NO - Normal output fluorescent light
NO2 - Nitrite
NO3 - Nitrate
O2 - Oxygen
PC - Power compact fluorescent light
pH - Measure of the concentration of hydrogen. Used to measure acidity/alkalinity of H2O
PH - Powerhead, water pump
RO - Reverse osmosis, (type of H2O purification)
RO/DI - Reverse osmosis by deionization (type of water purification)
RUGF - Reverse flow undergravel filter
SAL - Salinity
SG - Specific gravity
SHO - Super high output fluorescent light
Substrate – sand, gravel, crushed coral, etc in bottom of tank
SW - Saltwater
UGF - Undergravel filter
UV - Ultra violet, type of light
VHO - Very high output fluorescent light
W – Watts
WC - Water Change
W/D - Wet/dry, form of aquarium filtration
WPG - Watts per gallon

#4 ·
Welcome aboard Silas! We would be glad to teach you how do to a saltwater tank, nowadays the products available make it easy. Anyway, glad to have you aboard as a new member and hope you enjoy the site.

Great list, thanks for sharing it Donna!
I added T5, L, O3, DI, and clarified RO/DI. I could do this all day, though!

AC - Activated carbon
ALK - Alkalinity, buffering capacity of water
Amm - Ammonia
BW - Brackish Water
Ca - Calcium
Cl - Chlorine
CO2 - Carbon dioxide
DI - Deionizer, used to purify water before filling an aquarium, typically part of an RO system.
frag(s) - Broken or cut pieces of coral that grows
FW - Freshwater
Gal or G - Gallon
GAC - Granular activated carbonGH – General hardness
GPH - Gallons per hour
Gravid - Egg-laden
HD - High Density
HO - High output fluorescent light
HOB - Hang On Back or
HOT- Hang On Tank
Ich - parasite
L - Liter
LHS - Local hardware store
LFS - Local Fish Store
LPS - Local Pet Store
LR - Live rock
LS - Live sand
N2 - Nitrogen
Na - Sodium
NH3 - Ammonia
NH4 - Ammonium ion
NO - Normal output fluorescent light
NO2 - Nitrite
NO3 - Nitrate
O2 - Oxygen
O3 - Ozone
PC - Power compact fluorescent light
pH - Measure of the concentration of hydrogen. Used to measure acidity/alkalinity of H2O
PH - Powerhead, water pump
RO - Reverse osmosis, (type of H2O purification)
RO/DI - Reverse osmosis and deionizer combination unit (type of water purification)
RUGF - Reverse flow undergravel filter
SAL - Salinity
SG - Specific gravity
SHO - Super high output fluorescent light
Substrate – sand, gravel, crushed coral, etc in bottom of tank
SW - Saltwater
T5 - Type of fluorescent light bulb. New in aquarium hobby, high lumen output, energy efficient.
UGF - Undergravel filter
UV - Ultra violet, type of light
VHO - Very high output fluorescent light
W – Watts
WC - Water Change
W/D - Wet/dry, form of aquarium filtration
WPG - Watts per gallon

If you want to post a new thread with this list, I can make it a sticky for you. This way everyone gets to see the thread incase they don't read this one. I think its a great idea to have these terms somewhere for people to reference. Cheers

#7 ·
Now this is long but its all my info I am posting then reading your guyest replys afterwards. But for help here is my info on everything. Sorry for it being SO big.

Tank- 29 gal standard walmart tank, heater(100watt cheap that keeps shutting off cause probably old)and a HOB aquatech filter. temp is 72-74 F it lowered over nite cause heater stop workin for while.

Deco's 4 fake plants, 2 tall trees, and log with few plants on it , and small building. Rocks are normal gravel rocks from store.

Here are few items i got today for hell of it. Any suggestions and weather or not there good as API kind is good help too i know its diff brand so is it same quality as in working? And suggestons help on filters heaters airstone(even tho i cant find 1 at store) , or lighting will help. But items i got are - Tetra whisper heater - 30-60 gal why is it able to go underwater? cant the top function twist thingy get wet inside and stop working?
- Air pump with hoses to go under water(is this good to make oxygen in water? i was just planning on setting em on side of tank to make bubbles. (30-60 gal)

Next are meds or chemicals are these all good and do they work as good as API kind? and when should i added em and how.
- Jungle brand test kit for PH, nitrates, nitrites, hardness, and alkality (quick drips on these in tube)
- Jungle brand test kit for amonia same thing quick drip.

I bought these just to have and are they good and work? And i use em as fish are in tank or before i put em in while iam cycling my new tank.
- Tetra algae control
- Tetra aqua - aqua safe does this take chlorene out of tap water? or no
-Tetra easy balance
- API stress coat - does this take chlorene out of tap water?
- Melafix drip-
- AP crystal clear
- Spyon hose i read how to use it. But adding water back into tank it says it helps take out chloren is that true or should i just keep using 5 gal bucket and use some sort of chemical to take chloren out with .

Now iam using jungle brand test drip strips.

These strips are gay and says go by color and get as close as you can but i dont get how to use em so can you explain.

For my amonia kit it says ... 0 ideal .5 stress .25 safe 3.0 harmful 6.0 pretty bad
well harmful is color light green and 6.0 was dark green but it was sorta in middle so how i get to figure number out? I thought there be numbers lol :( but anyways how i use em ) my color was in middle of bad and harmful.

Now for my jungle kit of everything else it same way just colors but it dont say darker the color worst or better or the lighter the color is the higher or lower it is... is just says compare and my colors are diff from the ones on answer sheet. anyways here lil description and u help tell me results number wise or watever .

Answer color on tube to compare too Says this pmm thing Color i got on that square
Pink Nitrite below 40pmm Big Red
Light tan Nitrates .5pmm or below Little Tan diff tan tho...
Darker brown Hardness 50 - 15pmm More stand out bright B but still dark brown
Light orange- Alkalinity 120pmm-300pmm dark green/bluish
dark bright orange - PH 6.8 7.2 Bright red big red

How the hell i compare colors? To the chart and the pmm it only gives me those options. iam confused;(

Luckly i get some responses from you guys on info on this and compare it to wat is happening

Also for my fish i have 2 red zebra 1 1'' and one 2'' 2 yellow labs 2'' each 1.5 '' jewled
2 small 1'' fish undefined i 1 is black with stripes from head to tail and other is bluish with stripes like a bee (vertical) and redish fins and i also got yellow bee lookin black strip guy think its keyni of some sort or something and i also seen mmbuna someone told me on those two others. This is my info and i got questoin because my fish are showing signs of ich but no white spots and showing flashing.. and also the color on sides of fish are fading and there hiding at top under filter now and there up towards top and there flashing once in while if i notice it and they rub on everything once in while .. so i am concern how to cure it and stop it and what i can do to get my numbers correct on all my stuff .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.