Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alrght well im getting a 60 gallon tank and im for sure getting one tiger oscar and maybe another albino....i was wondering if for this size tank anyone has any suggestions as to some other fish i might think of getting. I am planning on getting some live plants in there just to help out filtering and oxygen and stuff.

thanks guys and girls,
Sean

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
alrght well im getting a 60 gallon tank and im for sure getting one tiger oscar and maybe another albino....i was wondering if for this size tank anyone has any suggestions as to some other fish i might think of getting. I am planning on getting some live plants in there just to help out filtering and oxygen and stuff.

thanks guys and girls,
Sean
Most of the time once the oscar gets bigger it will be the only fish in the tank as they don't like a lot of other fish in their territories.

As for plants with an oscar, forget it. They will tear them up. Not so much by munching on them but by moving them out of his way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kno that it will grow lol im going to get maybe a 100 gal. in the future so im saying for now what do u think will live fine with one or two oscars and will then be moved to a 100 gal.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well I have some other american cichlids with mine, but I would caution that the oscars are quite a bit bigger then the others, and in my opinion they need to be. Mine don't seem to be as aggressive as the convict or Dempseys. But they make up for it by being 4 times the size.

·
Bullheads Rock My Socks
98 Posts
my fiances sister is most likely gettign an oscar to go in the tank with my bullhead for a while...bottom feeder who grows to 14" long and an oscar will be contempt with living with eachother because neither of them could eat eachother haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depending on what size they are when you purchase them you might be ok for a very short time. I am a huge Oscar fan and all of my experience tells me in a 60 gallon you're going to potentionally have a very busy tank maintenance schedule. They will grow at a pretty good rate if they are provided with a good quality diet. Housing two of them in the tank is going to produce a lot of waste. I recommend getting two power filters. One set up fpr basic filtration and one set up for ammonia and bio filtration. Ive used this set up for years and it works great! I wouldn't buy any tank mates right away. I would wait until you upgrade. Since you'll be moving them to a different tank, introducing them and new fish into a new aquarium you shouldn't have too many problems. When you buy tankmates I suggest getting ones that are close to the same size and ones that are hearty and can defend themselves well. I actually have one Oscar in a tank with two full grown Jack Dempseys and they get along great. Some larger catfish or PLecos will do well as well. These are all just suggestions from my own personal experience from keeping Oscars over the years. Take from it what you will. If you feel like asking any other guestions feel free. Good luck!

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Another point to look at is when you will be able to upgrade. I have seen so many cases where the person buys a fish with plans of upgrading and in this economy something happens where it can't be done. Then they are frantically looking for a place to rehome such a large fish.

·
Bullheads Rock My Socks
98 Posts
yup thats usually how it goes, my oscar is about 4" in length and im already looking into getting a 150 gallon tank for him and my bass and the jack dempsey...the 55 will house my pike cichlid and my bullhead...so it should all work out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts