Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

My name is Mike, and i'm obviously new to the forums. I'm also newish to having a somewhat decent aquarium. I had goldfish when I was a kid (just like everyone else) and I'm starting to build a 29 gallon tank. I had a 1.5 gal with an african dwarf frog and cherry barb in it. I upgraded to an old 10 gal that I had a few weeks ago (cherry barb didn't make it :( ). I got some glofish, phantom tetras, bloodfin tetras, hatchets, tiger barbs, a blind cavefish, and a yoyo loach. Unfortunately one of those fish had ick and infected all of my fish. I immediately got meds, but by the time they kicked in, i had lost both tiger barbs, the yoyo loach, the two hatchets, the phantom tetras, and a glofish. The rest didn't look too great, but they pulled through. I got some more glofish and long story short, I now have:

1 african dwarf frog
2 bloodfin tetras
4 glofish
1 blind cavefish

Being the impulsive person i am, i went out and bought a 29 gal tank that i am cycling as we speak and i plan to add my fish to that and go with a sunken greek/roman ruins theme. I hope to get a lot of great info here and also give some where i can.

I do have some quick questions to start with though:

I want to break a clay jar and put some pieces to look like sunken ruins, but is there a special kind i have to get or will any clay jar work? Is there anything i should do to make it safe for the fishys?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!!

-Mike

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
Welcome!

Instead of meds. Try salt and heat therapy first. 1tbps salt per 5 gallon aquarium water. And raise temp to 86F-90F. It will kill the ich and prevent reproduction. You can research on the search engines.

Any clar jar will be fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a case of ick a couple of months ago and just cranked the heat up to 86-87 degrees and ick is gone only lost 2 fish. 1 tiger barb and a bala shark. Got to love the heaters...LOL

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Hi Mike. Welcome to the fourm. Nice to have you here with us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts