Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
dwref
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the rock around in my tank, now my "nitrites" are at 50 & I am losing fish, coral won't open. My tank size is a 125 gallon, did a 40 gallon water change yesterday, hooked up a caniter filter & put floss & carbon in it, but it hasn't came down.
All other tests are fine??

Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
Water changes can defintiely lower it and I would continue to do them until you got it down to 20 in an effort to "stop the bleeding". That still wont address the root cause but at least you can stop the downward spiral and buy some time to figure things out.

Need lots more information than what you have provided.

We know the tank size, but here is what we dont know...

1. Number, size and type of fish.
2. What type of filtration system are you running.
3. Whats the feeding schedule and how much.
4. What are the other water parameters. Fine is vague - need numbers.
5. Are you running a skimmer?
6. How old is the tank?
7. What type of substrate do you have..crushed coral, Oolitic sand or what?
8. How much live rock do you have?
9 Did you disturb the sand bed any moving the rock and if so to what extent?
10 What kinda corals do you have in the tank?

We need a complete detailed break down on the tank before we can start to get some kind of picture as to what may be going on that would cause your nitrates to be so high. 50 is a pretty high level for a tank with corals. And to have fish dropping on you too, might want to take a water sample to the LFS or a friend and have them verify the accuracy of your test and see if they come up with even higher levels of nitrates.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sounds like you had an ammonia spike from debri under the rock.

Continue to do lots of water changes!!!

And the carbon won't help a bit. In fact, remove it. It's used for chemical, not biological filtration. And it leeches out nutrients, and carbon dust can be lethal to some fish if not washed out properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts