Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make a 5 1/2 gallon sump for my 5 gallon custom 1/2 rimless tank. This is going to be my first sump I ever did so I have a question,can i drill a hole in the bottom of the tank, then run a pvc pipe through a bulk head to the top of the tank and cut slots in it for an overflow and just have the water fall through the pipe into the sump?ans filter it and have a return going to the tank? I want to keep this as simple as i can so if you guys and girls have any suggestings im all ears lol

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Yes you can definitely do that. It's called a "stand pipe".. just use a larger diameter than what you use to come up with. For example, if you go up with 1/2" on the return, then do a 3/4" drain. There are commercial strainers you can use at the top of the pipe - check this link out - just get the right size, a coupler that's slip x threaded will join the pipe with the strainer.
3/4" Bulkhead Strainer Threaded: Premium Aquatics

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes you can definitely do that. It's called a "stand pipe".. just use a larger diameter than what you use to come up with. For example, if you go up with 1/2" on the return, then do a 3/4" drain. There are commercial strainers you can use at the top of the pipe - check this link out - just get the right size, a coupler that's slip x threaded will join the pipe with the strainer.
3/4" Bulkhead Strainer Threaded: Premium Aquatics
+1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts