Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! New to the hobby!

yesterday I finally introduced a group of 12 blue dreams to my new planted tank. I’ve had two deaths, and today can’t spot the rest of the group except for a couple. One isn’t looking so good, seeming to be limp. I noticed it’s chest is white inside, maybe I didn’t initially see ir, but unsure.

Acclimated with the drip method for 90min. Lights been off.

tank specs:
3 gal
TDS 243
Kh 5
Gh 3
Ammonia 0- 0.25 (getting different readings)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Ph 6 (I’m struggling with this one, waiting on crushed corals delivery)
Temp 78

Substrate Fluval aquasoil, with some sand and pebbles
Heavily planted (rotula, weeping moss, hydrocotyle, ludwigia, anubia)
Driftwood
Slate stones

I’m unsure how to proceed to avoid any further shrimp loss. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,797 Posts
How long has the tank been set up? Yes ph is to low for neos, Tanks that small are hard to cycle. I know I tried and ended up getting a 5 gal. The aquasoil will release ammonia for awhile. Also temp is too warm, if you have a heater in there take it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long has the tank been set up? Yes ph is to low for neos, Tanks that small are hard to cycle. I know I tried and ended up getting a 5 gal. The aquasoil will release ammonia for awhile. Also temp is too warm, if you have a heater in there take it out.
It cycled for about a month, and has been stable for a week.

As for the Ph, from my research crushed coral seems the way to go. I was using Ph up, but from my testing it didn’t create a stable environment so hoping that the coral will help. Do you find that to be the best approach?

I don’t have a heater :/ thats just room temperature

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,797 Posts
Chemicals like ph up are worthless. crushed coral or even a cuttle bone for birds will help. Also if you have any oak trees that hasn't had any bug spray like city sprays for mosquitos you can dry them and put into tank or get some indian almond leaves and put one in there as shrimp like to eat on them. Shrimp Envy is a good place for food and such.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts