Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my tank has been up for almost 10 months. I have really been struggling with Ph, calcium and KH. For the last few months my calcium wants to stay about 380 no matter how much I add. PH will rapidly drop to about 7.8 in a day and a half with no dosing. Now my KH has got real high. It is currently at 16. It has been over 14 for months. I didn't realize it at the time but I think the PH buffers has made the KH raise so high because I have been dosing for PH so much.
I have quite a few LPS's and zoe's, just a couple of SPS stuff. Most everything is doing good with the exception of my candy canes and one of my hammer's. Can you help me out? I am still very much a beginner at this. Using RODI water and Red Sea coral pro salt. Been using aqua vitro eight.four and seachem marine buffer for the PH. Aqua vitro calcium and magnesium.
Thanks

SG 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Phosphate 0
Calcium 380
PH 8.0
KH 16
Mag. 1400

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
380 is ok for calcium.There is no proven benefit to having higher than normal range.
I would mix up some of your saalt with fresh water and run test on it to see where the mix gets you.
The pH and kH are usaully relative to each other (at least for me).Usaully if the ph is low then the kHh is low also.I do buff with seperate items.At the moment I'm using kent superbuffer dkh for my pH and it has little if any effect on my kh,and I'm using seachem reef builder for kh.
If test for salt mix are ok then I would dose some of your AV8.4 and other buffer to see what they do to the kh.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will look on the Internet for some of that kent super buffer. The guy I get most of my stuff from likes that stuff too but doesn't stock it at his store. Do you have a place you like to get it from? Just got home and my ph is down to 7.9 from 8.2 24 hrs ago. I am going to change a bunch of water tomorrow or Sunday and try to not add any buffer for a bit.
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts