Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve made huge mistake and don’t know what to do. I finally bought my new aquarium and set it up last night. I didn’t sleep a wink last night because the water pouring back into the aquarium from the filter sounded like a trickling faucet or pouring water into a glass all night! The pump on this filter is not the problem it is very quiet. The problem is the water pouring back into the aquarium from the filter. This is a filter hanging on the back of the outside of the tank. Does ANYONE have any ideas on what I can do to silence this? If not I’m going to have to disassemble everything and take it back. *sad*H2 Thank you.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well you could get rid of that filter and get a canister filter. They are generally much quieter. You should also be able to adjust the water flow. How high do you have your tank filled?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Usually, if you keep the tank topped off the hang on back filters are very quiet. Keep the water level as high as you can and you'll find the noise level will drop.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Outside of a DIY project to diffuse the water, you have two options:

1) Keep tank filled completely. When done so the lip of the HOB should be just under the water level.

2) Get a canister filter as they have a spray bar. Which is actually better. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great replies. The tank is filled to the brim now. I think the water I'm hearing is actually inside the unit which is outside the tank. It is so loud I can't sleep. The canister idea sounds good. I'll stop by the pet store after work and see if they have one. Any recommendations on a specific one? Would it also be possible to turn the filter I have now off at night for eight hours and just leave it on for the remaining 16 hours a day or would that pose a problem? Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a Fluval U2 underwater filter. It attaches inside the tank. I love it. No noise at all! Very easy to set up and maintain!

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Sounds like you don't have a noise problem you have an Aqueon, while these filters will do the job i don't like them personally because of this very issue, the angle they return water to the tank causes this notice if not topped off all the way. If you go the canister route i recommend a Rena. I have seen people running a Rena canister filter and you couldn't hear them if you put your ear to them. If you decide to stay with H.O.B. filters I would go with an AquaClear or a Tetra. AquaClear filters have a leveling adjustment that would help you reduce noise, and The tetra filters i have seen all have a very flat return angle. The one i have works very well and is one of the last of my filters to start making that noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts