Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have started the aquarium hobby and so far my tank is cycling great and everything is going as planned.

My quick question that I cant find the answer for in my reading is when I want to top off my tank or perform a water change can I store the water beforehand? For instance can I keep a 5 gallon bucket of water and treat it with conditioner then cover the bucket and use that water when needed? Or should I always use "fresh" tap water and then treat it before use? I just figure storing it before hand would be practical.

Thanks in advance,
Steven

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
For a quick answer....sure.

There's a couple good items to note here:

1) If you're on city water, it is probably being treated with Chlorine or Chloramine. By treating the water and letting it sit, it gives the dechlor a longer time to work.

2) If you're on well water, you could be in my situation where the PH is well below 6. I still treat with Prime, but I use crushed coral to add buffering ability to the water and bring the PH up to a higher level before adding.

Otherwise, you can just add the dechlor when you top off or do a water change. It will be at your comfort level. However, if you are keeping sensitive fish, I would highly recommend to age your water first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts