Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Frank1971
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new tank with stand and canopy, the LFS offered me a standard one bulb Aqueon light which I turned down. Looking for an easy set up, energy efficient to grow some corals and all the other necessary forms of life needed in a reef tank. It's an 80 gallon tank, 48 inches long, 14 inches deep and 27 inches high. The lighting system needs to fit into my canopy, so somewhat slim, I think i have 4 to 5 inches of room. I'm really not all that familiar with lighting systems and any advice and links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Frank1971
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey ya Frank, moving right along aren't ya.
NEW 48? 216W T5 AQUARIUM LIGHT FIXTURE REEF FISH TANK | eBay

Now on a DIY stand point, take it and attach it to your canopy.
Or are you thinking LED?
Reefing, yes I am moving along, it'd more of an addiction at this point. LOL!

I was talking to the guy at my LSF and he says LED is the way to go, but the system he's trying to sell me is $350, which is way more than I want to pay. Is LED better? And why?

·
Frank1971
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, on that T5 light fixture, how does that do on energy and how much are those bulbs when it comes time to replace?

·
Vodka Doser
6,490 Posts
LED Aquarium Lights, Lighting; emitters, PAR, DIY, How they work | Aquarium Article Digest

T-5 would be the most energy efficient out there, tough one to beat, until you get to LED's. T-5 will last 9-12 months, I know, they say up 18 months, well thats not the case. T-5 run some heat, not alot, but do run heat. LED's on the other hand, have very little heat at all and will run about 50,000-60,000 hours. LED's will get the water shimmer effect like Halides do. LED's you need less wattage than the others because of how bright they are. T-5 cost, well that all depends on where you buy them, I got mine at E-Bay and worked well enough for me.
Epistar New 120 Watt Led Aquarium Grow Light Blue White Coral Reef Tank Black | eBay

·
Frank1971
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LED Aquarium Lights,*Lighting; emitters, PAR, DIY, How they work | Aquarium Article Digest

T-5 would be the most energy efficient out there, tough one to beat, until you get to LED's. T-5 will last 9-12 months, I know, they say up 18 months, well thats not the case. T-5 run some heat, not alot, but do run heat. LED's on the other hand, have very little heat at all and will run about 50,000-60,000 hours. LED's will get the water shimmer effect like Halides do. LED's you need less wattage than the others because of how bright they are. T-5 cost, well that all depends on where you buy them, I got mine at E-Bay and worked well enough for me.
Epistar New 120 Watt Led Aquarium Grow Light Blue White Coral Reef Tank Black | eBay
That's a nice LED set Reefing and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on that. Looking at some pictures it looks like that is set up to hang from a ceiling or something to that effect. Will that sit right on top of my glass under my canopy I don't see any legs on it, and will I be able to screw that onto my canopy? And do you think that one set will be enough for my 80 gallon tank? And, do you you ever replace bulbs in LED systems?

·
Vodka Doser
6,490 Posts
Well, I think your going to need 2 of them, only because your putting them under your canopy, and that will limit the spread. You can change LED's out if you can solder, but 50,000 is a good time frame, and by then the suckers should be alot cheaper to buy a new set instead of buying one LED. You'll have to divise a bracket to screw it to your canopy, there are not many LED's out there that have legs on them. But Marineland is one of them, and you may be able to get by with jus this one unit.
Fish & Aquarium Supplies: LED Lights
Reef Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: Marineland Reef Capable LED Lighting System

1 - 7 of 7 Posts