Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm hoping to get some useful advice from those of you who have been aquarium enthusiasts for a while. About three weeks ago, my boyfriend and i were given a 35 gallon fish tank by a friend who wanted to upgrade to a larger tank. Although I know this now, we went about getting it set up and stocking it the wrong way. We had no idea what we were doing, so we just went for the cheapest fish. We have 10 goldfish (I know, way too many), 2 mollys, 2 platys, 3 guppies and a pleco. I KNOW this is a totally bad situation after having done some research, but we're stuck with it now so all i can do is try to make the best of it. The goldfish have ick and fin rot, and its spreading to the others. We've been rigorously treating, cleaning, changing water, and nothing is improving. Any advice would really be appreciated. We love our new tank and are really wanting to get into this as a serious hobby.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello,
I'd increase the temp of the water to about 80 to fight the ick, I don't think the goldfish could handle it much hotter than that. If you're using carbon in your filter take it out while you medicate your tank. The carbon will take the meds right out the water. Get some aquarium salt and put in the tank, per the instructions on the back. Should take a couple of weeks to treat the ick like this, although I'm not sure about the fin rot. Also do about a 20% water change each day until the ick is gone. Make sure to vacuum the gravel pretty good so you get the ick at the free swim stage. I haven't dealt with fin rot so I'm not the best source for advice on that, but I have dealt with ick. :)

Also, goldfish produce a lot of waste so you may want to invest on some testing chemicals. Something that tests for nitrate, phosphate, ph, and ammonia would be on spot. Make sure you do at least 30 - 40% water changes weekly with that many goldfish to keep the nitrates and phosphates down. Also the filter would need to cycle 4 times the aquarium each hour for proper filtration.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts