Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a fluval FX5 filter and changed my media today to peat instead of bio rock to help reduce the PH of the tank and since doing this my flow rate has decreased considerably to almost no flow at all how do i cure this as my discus do enjoy the flow rate

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
The same thing happened to me, what I ended up doing is take it out and putting it in a hob as an extra filter. With the fx5 you don't need a very big hob to run the peat into the filter. If you can find them the peat pellets work better, but I haven't been able to find them locally and just haven't ordered them online yet.

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
How do you correct this? simple stop using the peat.

FWIW all my FW planted tanks including those with peat moss in the substrate have a pH of 8.4-8.8 with the high range pH test kit.

IMHO it is not the actual pH reading but rather why the pH reads that value. In my tanks I have very heavy planting and no mechanical circulation. Therefore, the plants suck out the carbon dioxide so that the tank becomes a net consumer of carbon dioxide and supplier of oxygen each 24 hour period. As a result the pH reads very high. But even fish that are supposed to need low pH values (6.5-7) thrive and live for years.

After all an low carbon dioxide, high oxygen environment free of any chemicals has to be a good environment for the fish.

my .02

1 - 3 of 3 Posts