Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
New Member Manager
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP HELP HELP HELP! I NEED HELP!

My dad said that he was going to run to the LFS to buy ONE female velvet swordtail, and a pair of guppies. Thinking that it was an easy task, he said that he would go do it himself, and I would clean the garage out in the meantime.

When he comes back home, he brings home a pair of angelfish, four guppies, and a pair of german blue rams.

I have kept angels and guppies with no problem, but i have never kept german blue rams.

PLEASE HELP ME. He said that I cant put them in the other tanks. HELP ME PLEASE. Also, this tank is not fully cycled yet. He likes to rush things and he has no patience. HELP ME PLEASE.

How do I care for the german blue rams? Before the new "shipment" of fish came in, I had 12 cardinal tetras, 2 cories, and one velvet swordtail. WHAT DO I DO? The tank is a 55 gallon.

HELP! HELP ME PLEASE. WHAT DO I DO?

P.S. My dad had an aquarium once when I was 5 years old. It lasted for about 6 months, then every fish in there died from disease, overpopulation, etc.

P.S.S. HELP!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
GBRs are nice fish. May not be suited in the same tank with Angels though. They are on the sensitive side of the spectrum. It will be increasingly hard if you have a mated pair of angels.

·
Registered
724 Posts
When my dad was the one in charge of fish acquisitions when I was little, he always did the same thing. Rush, rush, rush. All the new fish can temporarily go into your 55g; at least it's cycled and everything. I suppose they could stay in there if they all get along. The fishlore from him pretty much covers their requirements. If you're going to put the rams in a separate tank, get cycling! =)
I'm sure it'll work out fine. They are beautiful fish, so enjoy them

·
Registered
756 Posts
They can but both are cichlids so they will ocassionally pester each other for territory. Two of each should be ok, but I would also check the sex of the GBR because they might fight each other if both are male. They are very easy to tell apart once they reach about 1in.

·
Registered
796 Posts
rams will be fine, ihave my rams with convicts and dempseys and they are fine. in my experience with rams they are not as fragile as ppl would say. mine have been fine for about 6 months and even have spanwed in the tank. girls will display a red belly, and on the black spot on her side she will have blue dots inside, the males dont get the blue inside.
My girl is on the left, the other 2 are male. they do fight but all that involves is alot of pushing, they have no fin nipping going on.
[/url][/IMG]

·
Registered
285 Posts
Don't worry shotgun13249.

I have raised GBRs for a long time, and RAMS are friendly fishes and they don't fight with any other fishes but themselves (males usually) during mating time. Although they prefer soft water and fairly acidic waters with a pH of 5-7.4 I believe. Rams also don't get big either. They are a dwarf species of Cichlids, and since they are South American, they are not as aggressive as African Cichlids, or other Cichlids such as Oscar, and Jack Dempseys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts