Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:fish-gift:

Hi there!

I am moving soon and am planning to start up my 46 gallon tank again, probubly end of Febuarary-ish.

I know this may sound over-stocked, but I am planning on getting very small fish, and later upgrading the tank.

How is this compatable and where would the best places to find these fish be?

3x Koi or Marble Vail Angels
1 pair of rams
12x Black Phantom Tetras
12x Harlequin Rosaboras (if they would fit)
1x Round Tailed Paradise Fish (does anyone know about how much these cost? I haven't been able to find one - I just saw a picture of one in a book)
6x Banded Corydoras
1x Small Pleco (I would love a Zebra Plec but I don't think I can afford one, but I definitly want something flashy with a unique pattern)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Going on line to look for places that sell these fish locally is a good idea . . . or perhaps calling your local fish stores vis a phone book works. Ask the store if they have them in stock and if not where can you find them. To find out what fish are compatible I also suggest checking on line at different fish sites or type it in the search box. Most stores also have fish seperated and next to those that are compatible. Remember . . . size matters so check on fish size as full grown.

Good Luck,
X

·
Registered
756 Posts
Koi?!...Those are not tropical fish like your other choices and they belong in a pond. Keep in mind that the angels and plecos can also get pretty big so watchout what species of pleco you get. If you are going to overcrowd like that make sure you get a REALLY strong filter.

You should have no problems finding all those fish at your local fish store...the specific paradise fish may be harder to find but some fish stores can special order one for you with their weekly shipments.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I was reffering to Koi Colored Angelfish... with veil tails.....ahhhhhhhhhhhhh so pretty :)

(This image will help -- this one is from Live Aquaria)

(And this one is of a lace veil tail from Canadadiscus)

Also, the plecs I am looking at are the ones that grow to about 6 - 8" or smaller... so Zebra Pleco, Gold Nuggets, Bristlenose, or even Spinys, not the larger varieties, such as the common pleco, or emporer pleco that grow over a foot :)

Thanks for all the useful information :)

:angler_fish:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Agree with above. I assume you are getting 3 angels to hope for a pair? They will get along great in the beginning but once they mature there might be trouble. These are cichlids and they behave like them. I had 3 in a 55 and it was not enough room for them, actually. I had a pair and an extra one, and there was a lot of fighting due to the spawning that was going on.

If you do get a pair, promptly remove the extra one and that might keep things quieter.

I don't know if the rams are going to work out in that size tank with a pair of angels. Something to think about.

I think you ought to choose between the tetras and the rasboras - 24 of those fish is to much for that size tank. The black phantoms are awesome fish but they do get more size on them than the rasboras.

I just don't think there is enough room for all of those fish to be comfortable. JMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would love for a pair - I am hoping to get the angels about dime-sized, because 2 full grown could probubly fill that tank. What if I did 6 of each? Also, with the roseys, would a full grown angel eat those? I heard that angels would eat anything that fits in their mouth. I am hoping to upgrade to about 75 - 125 gal once I save up the money.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would not say that angels eat anything that fits in their mouths, but it is more a question of them defending a territory. There is not much room in a 55 for other schooling fish when a pair of angels is defending their spawning spot. This is very typical cichlid behavior.

Having kept angels in a 55 (I started out with 5 quarter-sized ones) I wound up with two, and I'd say not much else would be happy in there, other than bottom dwellers. I had some black phantom tetras (fast and tough) and cories, but that was it.

For a show tank with community fish including angels, I'd frankly just keep one angel. One by itself of either sex would be a fine community member, since the lack of a mate means they are not so particular about defending territory. Once they mate, it becomes their life's work to make sure nothing comes near their eggs. If you had just one, then you could get a few other single specimen fish to go with it, and the tank might be more interesting.

It depends on what you are going for. I remember when I had the 5 baby angels, and I so wished that they'd school and hang out together like that forever, but it is not the case. I was very bummed! I wanted a tank full of angels - so gorgeous. I plan on doing angels again in my 150, and I am hoping that is enough room to have more than one pair, and allow them swimming space and to get to their full size.

Oh, and the rosies should be fine, as long as they are not the long-finned kind. The tankmates you choose should be swift and agile, lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts