Nitrate = 20 ppm
Nitrite = 0.5 ppm
pH = 7.2

I feed the fish once daily and give them one flake per fish

Fish have been in the tank 8 weeks

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Seems like you might have a nitrate problem. how much food do you give your fish?how long have the fish been in the tank? what is the nitrate reading(if you can't answer that question, you need to buy yourself an API master test kit.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nitrate = 20 ppm
Nitrite = 0.5 ppm
pH = 7.2

I feed the fish once daily and give them one flake per fish

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
nitrites are the problem. the fish were put in the tank too quickly. try doing alot of water changes to lower the nitrites to 0, or get some live plants.

·
Inspired.
138 Posts
When was the last time you did a water change? When I neglect my water changes, algae always pops out to warn me. Nitrates can only be removed by water changes, unless you want to add unnecessary chemicals in your tank.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Algae and nitrate problems aside.....One flake per fish? Once a day? It sounds like you're starving them. Feeding them as much as they can eat for 3-5 minutes once a day is recommended. Even better yet, feed them twice a day for 2 minutes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Your tank needs to cycle . You need to do water changes daily (possibly twice a day) until your parameters are right.

As far as the algae. Since you're not overfeeding your fish (actually you're not feeding them enough) it is probably a lighting issue.
Is the tank in direct sunlight?
How long do you leave the tank light on?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Well...since the OP still has not described the algae...it's hard to diagnose. Being that it is a new tank...could be diatoms. Possible algae bloom (green water). No clue.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
the OP said the light was on for 6 hours a day, before the OP edited the first post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts