Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bacteria are resistent beeings.

I never had an amonnia tester. But I'm 5 weeks in and haven't seen any NO2 since week 2.
I used a old filter that had not been used for 7 months. But It was not cleaned and had been packed in a plastic wrapper, so there was probably still a bit of moisture and dirt in it. Bacteria must have survivied.

Everybody told me they could not have survivied, but after about 10 days I had a bit of NO2 in the water for a few days. The last 3 weeks the water readings have been consistent:
No2: 0 mg/l
NO3: 15-25mg/l

From my readings there are 2 possibilities. I'm either still at stage 1, or I'm at the end of stage 3. Other than my old media and the fact that I've been getting some gravel (little once a week) from the LFS, I can't see where the bacteria has come from so quickly. It must have survivied in the media.

I started it all with 4 swordtails the first 4 weeks, I have brought 2 of them back, since they bread too much. Sceletons of halfeaten fry flying left and right.
Now I have (had for one week)
2 swordtails (male and female)
2 Angelfish (one agressive male, the other probably a submissive male)
9 Cardinal Tetra

And the clean team:
1 Chienese algea eater
3 Khuli loaches

The Angels will be moved over to my 60G in about a months time, before they get big enough to become a treat to the Tetra's. Will move the Swords too.
I'm gonna make this 17.5 gallon tank a pure Tetra tank, plus the clean team.

BTW: my clean team config should be in every tank

I couldn't possibly be in stage 1 of cycling now after 5 weeks. I had some No2 from day 9-13. Has been 0 since then. But I NEVER had a no2 spike like I read I'm supposed to have. Whats going on?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bacteria are resistent beeings.

I never had an amonnia tester. But I'm 5 weeks in and haven't seen any NO2 since week 2.
I used a old filter that had not been used for 7 months. But It was not cleaned and had been packed in a plastic wrapper, so there was probably still a bit of moisture and dirt in it. Bacteria must have survivied.

Everybody told me they could not have survivied, but after about 10 days I had a bit of NO2 in the water for a few days. The last 3 weeks the water readings have been consistent:
No2: 0 mg/l
NO3: 15-25mg/l

From my readings there are 2 possibilities. I'm either still at stage 1, or I'm at the end of stage 3. Other than my old media and the fact that I've been getting some gravel (little once a week) from the LFS, I can't see where the bacteria has come from so quickly. It must have survivied in the media.

I started it all with 4 swordtails the first 4 weeks, I have brought 2 of them back, since they bread too much. Sceletons of halfeaten fry flying left and right.
Now I have (had for one week)
2 swordtails (male and female)
2 Angelfish (one agressive male, the other probably a submissive male)
9 Cardinal Tetra

And the clean team:
1 Chienese algea eater
3 Khuli loaches

The Angels will be moved over to my 60G in about a months time, before they get big enough to become a treat to the Tetra's. Will move the Swords too.
I'm gonna make this 17.5 gallon tank a pure Tetra tank, plus the clean team.

BTW: my clean team config should be in every tank

I couldn't possibly be in stage 1 of cycling now after 5 weeks. I had some No2 from day 9-13. Has been 0 since then. But I NEVER had a no2 spike like I read I'm supposed to have. Whats going on?
Well to be honest based on what you have written I'm not sure but it seems that you now enough that your the best judge of that at this point. I believe based on your what your saying is that the weekly 1 ounce seeded gravel from your LFS is the only solid evidence your experiencing working bacteria. So continue the precess until your readings are 0 PPM ammonia, 0 PPM Nitrites, and Nitrates no higher then 40 PPM. Remember when cycling, water changes and daily water testing for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates is the only way to make measured and calculable progress toward the goal of being cycled. Everything else is a guessing game.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. I keep seing PPM . Thats probably imperial, we use the metric system in europe. How does 0.1 PPM compare to x Milligrams per litre? (mg/L). I don't even have a clue what PPM stands for!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts