Aquarium Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So I changed 50% water yesterday and also cleaned the algae off the substrate by siphoning. The source municipal water tested as:
Ammonia 0.10 - 0.15 API
Nitrite 0 API
Nitrate 0-5 API
Free chlorine 0.5 strip
Bromine 0.5 strip
Ph 7-7.2 strip
Hardness 50 strip

Today the tank tested as:
Ammonia 0.10 - 0.15 API (see below image)
Nitrite 0 API
Nitrate <20, maybe <10 API
Ph 6.8 strip
Hardness 50 mgl strip

For ammonia, I am not too sure of the colour matching. So I clicked a picture:
Fluid Solution Finger Liquid Thumb

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Another thing I noticed but forgot to mention here, since last few weeks the fish dont seem to be really hungry. They dont run after food.

Last 1 week I have drastically reduced the feeding quantity, but still they dont seem to be very hungry.

· Registered
357 Posts
That looks like 0 to me, but cameras and monitors don't work the same as eyes, particularly in regards to color. If you're a little unsure, you could take it to an LFS and have them read it for you, as something of a sanity check.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That looks like 0 to me, but cameras and monitors don't work the same as eyes, particularly in regards to color. If you're a little unsure, you could take it to an LFS and have them read it for you, as something of a sanity check.
Even if its not absolutely zero, with the ph at 6.8 the ammonia should not be a major issue now.

This water I used has 50 mg/l hardness. I have another municipal water that has all other parameters the same but hardness is 75-100 mgl.

Next time onwards I will use that for water changes as its slightly harder and may contain more minerals.

As a further precaution with regards to the deaths, do you suggest I add some live floating plants?

Any need to add minerals with this water source?

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Since last couple days two more fish were showing the same symptoms. Today one died.

I realized today that these two fish mentioned above have got sort of swollen eyes, more so from the top side (see pics - green fish). This had probably happened to all that died with these symptoms. The other fish that are not showing the symptoms don't have swollen eyes.

Also, the green one has been gasping since a few days and opening / closing its mouth very fast. There seems to be something stuck inside its mouth thats red in colour. Can see a bit in the pics. This has not happened to any other fish.

Could the above give any hint to the cause, if not water quality?
Water Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Gas
Water Plant Vertebrate Green Pet supply
Plant Water Flower Green Aquatic plant
Water Vertebrate Green Pet supply Organism

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Today I again tested the water in my tank:
Ammonia: same as 2 days back. Should be zero
Nitrite 0
Nitrate ~20
Ph 6.8

So looks like the above parameters are now sorted and stable. Will again test after 48 hours.

About remineralizing the water, recent 50% water change was with municipal water but that also had a hardness of 50 mg/l (same as RO water). Next water change I can add tap water but that has 4.0 ammonia so not workable. Can anybody suggest me how to add minerals?

Looks like with the help of everybody here the water quality is now in control. Thanks to everybody!

· Registered
368 Posts
I'd say the water you was using isn't even safe to drink if I go by your test of it. Id definitely use the second water but use a dechlorinator. And its pretty easy to get some aquarium plant substrate, a decent light with timer, and live plants. Itll help reduce nutrients when the plants start to grow. Most times the fish produce the nutrients for the plants. I've seen people go filterless with nothing but animals and plants in tanks.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yes putting live plants has been on my agenda but the fish shop here always guides me against that as they are difficult to maintain and require a different substrate. Else I can also put floating plants. I think I will put live plants... looks better more natural and will help keep nitrate in check.

· Registered
368 Posts
Definitely looks better then fake plants and or nothing. But from top: first 2 pic) 40gallon top view and side view. 3rd and 4th pic is side view of my 15. And my 10 gallon. I've got 5 tanks and really need to get pics of all 5.
Purple Rectangle Wood Grass Plant

Plant Nature Purple Water Organism

Plant Green Pet supply Organism Vegetation

Plant Green Pet supply Vegetation Grass

Plant Water Pet supply Rectangle Organism

· Registered
368 Posts
Yes putting live plants has been on my agenda but the fish shop here always guides me against that as they are difficult to maintain and require a different substrate. Else I can also put floating plants. I think I will put live plants... looks better more natural and will help keep nitrate in check.
You'll learn with more experience to not listen to your fish shop. Everything I've learned I've researched or just did it. I've asked advice on certain things im not familiar with and gotten help. Just like everyone on here. I've been in the hobby for awhile and I'm still learning new things. Its never-ending and loads of fun and styles. You'll find the one that sits just right for you.

· MOD
9,081 Posts
Don't need special substrate for most plants, unless you're going high light and co2. Just a good fertilizer will do along with some root tabs for the heavy root feeders like sword plants.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts