Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[S
IZE="4"][/SIZE]
Helo to everyone, well i just joined this site today and so far found it very interesting:)
I have owned a tropical fish tank for approx 3months now, so i am am very new to this wonderful new world.
I was just doing some reserch on 'silver dollars' when i came across this forum.
My tank holds approx 300litres of water which will give you an idea of how big my tank is.
I have in my tank 5 guppies, 2 sharks (5.5cm in length), 2 guarmis, 2ramis, 2angels, 2 silver dollars, 2 catfish, 2(unsure of their breed) algea sucking spotted fish, 2 tetras.
I was getting concerned for our silver dollars as they were hiding most of the time, only coming out when i switch the light off, and also they didnt seem to be eating much. I am a bit wiser now after reading up on them:eek:.
Well as i am new to this, any comments of any kind to help me look after my new and very much loved family will be much appriciated.
kind regards gutsyguppy1

·
Registered
42 Posts
well guts, great job on getting yourself a large tank. will save you alot of hassle.
is your tank planted?

Its my opinion that smaller fish, (like the ones youve chosen) look better in multitude, and a planted tank will help you to maintain the water quality if you put alot of fish in it. what kind of sharks are those.. are they black with red fins?
And those angels ... you should put 3 or more.. one will dominate and pick on the other till it dies .. but if there are 3, it will give the other a break, (unless they are a mating pair, but i doubt that they are)

most people will say that you should put less fish then more. but i don;t think thats nessecary, if you have a good filter, and you do water changes. but of course you can;t have more fish then water.. hehe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well guts, great job on getting yourself a large tank. will save you alot of hassle.
is your tank planted?

Its my opinion that smaller fish, (like the ones youve chosen) look better in multitude, and a planted tank will help you to maintain the water quality if you put alot of fish in it. what kind of sharks are those.. are they black with red fins?
And those angels ... you should put 3 or more.. one will dominate and pick on the other till it dies .. but if there are 3, it will give the other a break, (unless they are a mating pair, but i doubt that they are)

most people will say that you should put less fish then more. but i don;t think thats nessecary, if you have a good filter, and you do water changes. but of course you can;t have more fish then water.. hehe.
Well thank you for that info, that is very intersting, yes we have plants in our tank once again i am unsure of the names. that is interesting about the angels. Our two ( lady & tramp) seem to get on quite well although i would say that the larger one is probly more dominant. They have grown a fair bit in the 3 months we have had them. I bought a siamese fighting fish and itkept chasing lady all the time, so because we had the angels a lot longer, i decided to return the fighter as it was distressing to watch him be mean and chase lady, but the place where i bought him told me that lady most likely bit him once , and they never forget, We started off with just 6 fish and have gradually added more. We have over that period lost 3, guppies:( ,one siamese fighter, and just today a rami... my sharks are silver with just black on their fins and tails. they will grow quite big so later down the track we will have to get another tank:)
I really love my guppies, we have 2 blue, 3 yellow, 1orange& blue &1 orange lepoard. I will get some photos later when i edit my profile. I am from tasmania australia
regards
gutsy

·
Registered
42 Posts
hey.. did you buy those angels full grown?

I didn;t know they were 1m 1fm. that combo should work. its just that everytime i tried angels i was buying them as young and sexing is hard. i always ended up with males and they were agressive toward each other. and what i read about angels is that you should put 3+. so i kinda spit that back out.

Those sharks are gonna get real big, they sound like they are balasharks.

look like this?

Bala Shark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Helo there,

Yes thats my sharks! :) Yes i know they going to grow big, & i cant wait.... My brother has the same, his shark is about17cm long :D But i think they take a few years to get that big. No my Angels were a lot smaller and have grown quite a bit since i have had them (approx 3 months) They are now about 5cm long. Oh and i dont know if they are 1 male 1 female... :eek: Thats just their names...:eek:
How do you tell the m apart...
regards gutsy

(i am new to this):)

·
Registered
139 Posts
welcome to the underwater world. i had 3 balasharks in my 75 gallon tank and they lived to be 7 yrs old and about 9 inches long. i just gave my dad my silverdollar fish tonight, he was bought with the balasharks.( he thought he was a balashark:eek:) when i bought them they were 1/2 inch long. angel fish are better in odd numbers and watch out for the tetras...angels love to eat them, if they can catch them. LOL. make sure with the balas you have a mostly enclosed lid as they love to power jump into the cats water bowl.:eek:. again welcome to the forum!!:D

Reactions: gutsyguppy1

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here with us. have fun posting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts