Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this site and thought I would drop by.
I started my reef in 1971. It is still running and doing well.
I am a diver and boater and use some NSW, pods and bacteria from the sea.
The tank has appeared in 3 aquarium magazines and various on line magazines.
Nice to meet you
Paul

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
*w2 to the forum. Look forward to seeing your tank in the Gallery.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Welcome and thanks for joining us.

Rose

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These guys are over ten years old and are spawning

This bluestripped pipefish is part of a pair and has been spawning for a couple of years as has the pair of gobies in an above picture

There are 5 bumblebee gobies in there also. I don't tell them they are brackish

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MediaHound, I don't see a pink tipped torch. There is a torch but I don't know if thats the proper name. I am very bad with names. I was married for about a month before I remembered my wife's name.

Dr Hank, I take some pictures, like the one of the bumblebee and the hermit crabs through a jeweler's loupe. Those pictures are very enlarged. That bumblebee is about 3/4"

·
Registered
250 Posts
All I can say is WOW. Really great to know you are here if I have any questions. Welcome

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
welcom to the site*w2*w2

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just did one of the things that I love to do which I have mentioned before. I removed a bottle that I have not emptied in years and dumped it out in a flask to check out what is living in there. It is an entire eco system. There was a nice strand of seaweed growing right in the center like a mineature garden or bonsai tree. The thing was just teeming with pods, worms and all sorts of other cool little things. This to me is what makes this hobby so interesting. I sometimes get more excited to watch this stuff than my fish.
I had to do some work on the tank because I have a small auto feeder mainly for the hippo tang that puts a few flakes and pellets in the tank in case I don't show up for a couple of days.
I heard the thing cycle and the surface of the water was covered with flakes. The top came off the feeder and about a can of flakes went into the tank. I skimmed a lot of it out but the rest sunk so I had to get out the diatom filter and do a thorough cleaning. As I was doing that I found the coral that I had been looking for that my urchin transported into a cave. It seems fine.
I also did a little aquascaping to re position all the rocks the urchin moved and to re pile anything that had fell.
I also have a problem with corals toppling onto each other so I fixed most of that problem. I also added a few very pregnant grass shrimp. The fish will enjoy that. Tomorrow I will collect some more of those which seem larger this year for some reason.
They are all around my boat along with zillions of amphipods.
That all goes intio the tank.
Have a great day, whats left to it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts