Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go to your local petstore, or if you dont have a smaller one try stopping at petsmart or petco. I like the smaller stores because the people seem to want to help where the larger ones just want to sell the fish. There are a number of medications you mix in the water, but finding them on your own might lead to a sad ending, so ask fish people at petstores which helps. One thing I have found that helps is something called Ick Cure.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Welcome to the site.......If you have a QT tank you could isolate the effected fish and treat them per the bottle instructions, if you don't have the QT tank than you will have to treat the whole tank and fish. Not a problem, just that the meds tend to stain hoses and plastic items aqua blue. Molly do perfer a little aquairum salt added to the water, this is also a general treatment for alot of fish problems. Also these problems are mainly caused by stress and the weakening of the immune system of the fish, do to transporting and or water quaity, make sure you keep put on your weekly water changes. this will provide a healthy home for you pet.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I used Triple Sulfa for the eye problems and simply raise the temperature of the tank to 82 degrees for a period of 14 days to treat the ick and do not medicate for it. The high temperature will make the parasite leave the fish's body and if it is maintained for the whole time with no drops the parasite will die without a host fish to live on and the fish no longer will have ick. The Triple Sulfa (or TriSulfa in another brand) does wonders for eye infections and clean water always. The trick is to keep the water clean and warm at the same time. When you do water changes, just make sure that the water you replace in the tank is at the same temperature as the tank so you are not cooling the tank down and letting the ick resettle on the fish. I would not change the water except after the 5 day treatment period of the Triple Sulfa is over since the quarantine tank is not going to be that dirty and chances are will be okay for that long.

Rose

1 - 4 of 4 Posts