Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the fish forum venue, and new to keeping fish happy, as well. In my house, besides assorted cats and dogs, we started a 30 gallon bio- cube four months ago. It's had it's ups and downs, starting with a carnivore angel fish, and (hopefully) ended with a huge algae bloom that took us weeks to recover from.
Recently, we've added in three coral "dwarf" platy's, and this afternoon my step daughter caught one of them nibbling on the tail of my twig catfish. My tank also has live plants in it. I am wondering why the little platy is nibbling my twig, who swims very awkwardly, (related to his shape) and what I can do (if anything) to prevent the little bugger from terrorizing the twig.
We also have a lemon tetra, who seems not at all happy with the new additions. She had some friends, who, sadly, got lost in the mire that was the tank during the algae bloom... now she just hides over at the heater, swimming and breathing well, but not very adventurous.
Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site.

The lemon tetra would be happier if it had company of its own kind since its a schooling fish. There needs to be at least 5. The platy may be just being curious. You could also give the platy an algae tab to nibble on.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice, susankat. I am afraid of overstocking my tank, or I would add more lemon tetra's. There is a redfinned tetra in the tank as well, along with the neon's and black. I guess I was kind of hoping the lemon tetra would hang out with them...

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Thanks for joining us and welcome to the site.

Rose
:)

Reactions: mielikki

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
*w2 to the Forum, glad to have you here, sounds like you have a few minor problems but rest assured we have the folks here that can help you through every one of them

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
hello and welcome to the site

yeah you need to get at the very least 3-4 tetras and the different tetras dont shoal together like barbs do

Reactions: mielikki

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As soon as I get more room in the tank, (which may be soon, if I do my homework on dwarf platy's) I may be able to get a few more of the lemon tetra's. However, today, the fish is doing great, not hiding, and interacting well with all the others... Hope it stays that way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts