Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've setup a 20 gallon Long a week ago now and it has been 20 years since the last time. It's great to have it again. It's fresh water with live plants, a HOB filter and a heater.

So far I've only added 3 Albino Corys, a Betta and a couple Chinese Algae Eater. I know the Algae Eater is much too big but they are a mere 1/2 inch long now and will trade them in when time comes. I plan on having Cardinal Tetras and others that will live happily together eventually.

Question is: if I use an air pump safely above the water line in a cabinet, will I still need to use a check vale? I'm concerned that it will take away from the psi.

Also, if I have enough live plants (my first attempt) isn't it so that I would not need to disturb the surface any more than what the HOB filter does as is? Hence, no need for the pump unless it's for decoration.

Thanks for the forum.

Selvan

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site!
I know this doesn't answer your questions-but you say the tanks was set-up a week ago...if that is true, than the fish you have in there could easily die very quickly. in other words-is the tank cycled?

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
welcome to the site and what petlover said is true

no cylcing=pet loss

most of the time, but sometimes you get lucky

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I guess I'm lucky cause it's exactly one week tonight and all seem happy as can be. I don't know but maybe having a 1.5" Fancy Tail Goldfish in there alone for the first four days helped speed it up.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
Maybe...but idk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I don't know either, but I guess these are pretty hardy fish too.

So, wht about the check-valve?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well since everybody is to concerned about you tank setup method , technically if the air pump is above the tank is should not back siphon or no gravity no siphon, get it. Hope that help. Also many people still think there are RULES to cycleing and setup of tank well now dayz with the cycleing addative, used equipment, live sand and gravel there are many exception.<=)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I want to mention to you that I had a small CAE in with one of my Betta, and when he got a little bigger, he actually killed the Betta...
now, it could just be that the one I had was EXTRA mean, but, from what I read about them they all seem to become extremely aggressive.
As far as cycling your tank, well, time will tell. It might just do a 'mini cycle', and you do have some pretty tough fish in there... I hope that you have no casualties :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reassurance on the air pump. With any luck it'll be delivered in a few days.

I want to trade in the two CAE's, they are too aggressive as is, for snails but am beginning to realize that gone are the days where you could sell them back for half what they sell them for currently.

Guess I'll be listing them on Craigs List.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I ended up giving my CAE away, because it was destroying fish in every tank I put it in. There are some people, with bigger, more aggressive fish that want them, maybe one of them will answer your craigs listing. They are quick little buggers, I chased the one I had in my 29 gallon tank around for a good half hour before I finally netted him. My other fish scatter at the sight of the net, now!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

To my surprise I found a LFS that does buy back fish at half price so off they went.

Also, instead of the snails, I think I'm going for a couple Oto's instead and I've studied the differences between them and the CAE.

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
Welcome

In planted tanks it is possible to add fish almost immediately after setup with no ammonia or nitrite spikes. And all the fish live. But to be safe what I do is let the live plants condition the tank for a week then add a very small amount of fish and don't add food for a week. Then do a more normal amount of fish and start very light feeding.

But still if you had sufficient fast growing plants like anacharis it is possible for the fish to experience no stress even if they are added almost at startup.

On the question of the air pump, if the pump is above the tank they is no need for a check valve. In fact I don't trust check valves and always put the air pump above the tank.

But then I haven't used an air pump in over 20 years. And no mechanical filters since the late 70's.

Just my .02

And welcome.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
beaslbob,

I am totally impressed! I don't think I could ever be bold enough to get to the point of not even using a filter system and also do without water changes.

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
beaslbob,

I am totally impressed! I don't think I could ever be bold enough to get to the point of not even using a filter system and also do without water changes.
Thanks. I was nervious when I first started this method. But then my first planted tank ran for over 7 years with descendants from the original cycle fish.

And you can use filters and do water changes as well.

what is important is to find something you are comfortable with and which results in a healthy tank.

my .02

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi and thanks for the posts.

What do you all think about this community with a hob filter and 50% water changes weekly?

Planted 20g long with lots of hiding places
7 cardinals
6 endlers (3 pairs)
6 dwarf cories (if I can them)
6 otos
2 ghost shrimp

I'm thinking I'm at max if all fry are removed immediately.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi again and sorry for the trouble but I think I've finally come to a finish with my setup. Could you please have a look at my signature and give me some feedback.

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
Hi again and sorry for the trouble but I think I've finally come to a finish with my setup. Could you please have a look at my signature and give me some feedback.

Thanks.
Looks good to me. I would use some peat moss covered with sand in the substrate for the cardinals. If anything like neno tetras I have found peat moss is necessary.

Personally I would add some small vals (corkscrew?) with the plants.

I have very limited experience with shrimp but a couble have survived in one tank.

I think you have a great idea and setup. best of luck.*w3

well except I feel the water changes are unnecessary. *r2

I you don't think a tank can thrive without filters try a 1-2g jar plant it and see how it does.

my .02

Reactions: selvan777

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks a bunch!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts