Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess the title sums it up....The rest of this post probably belongs somewhere else...buuut, my 10g tank is suffering from a high ammonia level and nothing seems to bring it down. Progress has been made, it started out at beyond limits of the api test and is now down to between 1 and .25ppm, it varies.
I have been religious about 50% water changes....its actually near impossible to vac the gravel without a 50%.
The tank has only one real plant, a banana plant the seems to be absolutely thriving, 4 new leaves that are incredibly HUGE, 3 to 4X the size of the leaves that were on it from the lfs....root sys covers about 1/6th of the tank floor.

A typical API test looks like-
Ammonia 0.25-1 ppm
Ph <6 I need to address this as well...
nitrite 0
nitrate 5-10ppm

I don't know about the hardness of the water yet, haven't found the test kits for sale locally. But as soon as I have the data I will add it.

I have tried several different chems to get rid of the rest of the ammonia, but they don't seem to do anything that I can measure, and I am worried about harming my fish.

This post would be more complete....but the baby is having a grumpy....be back soon...

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
It looks like he is ... Hopefully he is...lol

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site! How long has the tank been set-up?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tank has been set up for a bit over a month, the water has gotten foggy, and cleared itself up quite nicely, and according to the reading I have been doing on this wonderful forum, I have been the victim of the pet store and doing a fishy cycle under the impression that my water would be perfect after 48 hours....(sigh)

I originally had 2 Opaline Gouramis, a horsefaced loach, and a cae.
These guys fought through an absolutely horrible ammonia spike, and to my dismay, the cae and horseface are no longer with us. They expired almost simultaneously, both looking perfectly healthy. Just upside-down on the bottom.

The Gouramis are doing apparently fine, and there is a African butterfly in the tank for temporary storage while my friend gets her tank back up and running.

I hope to have some pics for you soon...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts