Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm a new aquarist. I have never done this before. I want to get a malawi setup going. Any tips would be appreciated. What are the best decorations to use, I guess not decorations, but rocks, wood, etc. I have a few tunnels and rocks with little tunnels etc but i see some amazing tanks and simple looks the best. So far these 3 species have really caught my eye.

Labidochromis caeruleus
Pseudotropheus demasoni
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't know about the malawi setups specifically but if you don't already know the first thing you need to read up on is the nitrogen cycle. Look on this site or google it and you will find ample info. Depending on how you do it it can take as little as a couple weeks and as long as months. It is vital to get benefitial bacteria established in the tank before adding fish or you will have problems. A fishless cycle is probably the best. That way you can get your tank set up and work on getting the decor the way you want it. Then you can add fish later and they should be healthy and will live a lot longer. If you are at a local fish shop or chain store DON'T let them talk you into buying fish right away. No matter what they try to sell you it won't work and it takes time. There is one product out there that seems to be having some success at allowing you to instantly add fish but I don't trust it yet. I am cycling one tank that has fish and it is taking forever. When I set my 120 G up I will go fishless cycle for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
well first off let me start by saying am setting up the same tank as we speak and so far its been a smooth ride but they cant be put in fresh water u need to set up a brackish water tank to set it up ill let you know what i did now first i got some strong filters rated for double the size required for the tank and i brought about 25 lbs of crushed coral .i started out by cleaning the tank laying the coral on the bottom filled with water and let sit for 2-3 days then i suggest buying lots of fake rocks and fake plants from what i hear its better cause they tend to eat real plants then i would start a fishless cycle for 2-4 weeks and get a hydrometer to test salinity thats as far as i know if any of this is wrong feel free to correct me as i would like to know this info is from things i have read up on for the 55 gallon am setting up now and its working so far if you found this helpful please dont forget to say thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are keeping your cichlids in a brackish tank? I thought they were freshwater? I have never heard of this before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i read it online that they were suppose to be in brackish water please tell what type of water they do need then

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
I think they are supposed to be in hard water. Which does not necessairly mean brackish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts