Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to aquariums, I just bought a beautiful new tank, I think it's 55g. I'm planning on having a nice community tank.

I was wondering how long I'm going to have to wait to put fish in it, after setting it up with the chemicals and whatnot.

After I wait some time, what are the best fish to get first?

How many fish can I add to my tank per week?

What should I put in my tank? Castles, plants, etc?

What should I put on the bottom? I was planning on normal sand.

These are the fish I was planning on having...

10 Zebra Danios
6 Peppered Cory's
6 White Clouds
4 Clown Loaches
1 Male Betta
3 Goldfish
1 Small Pleco
6 Tiger Barbs

I know that is probably too many fish, so please tell me, what should I omit?

Are there other good community fish that I should look into?

What fish should I steer clear of?

Thanks in advance for the help, I really appreciate it. I've loved aquariums and fish my whole life, I've had a couple tanks but never anything nearly as nice as the tank that I bought. When all is done, I'll return to post some pictures. Thanks again!

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
goldfish are coldwater, the other fish aren't..... not compatible

tiger barbs WILL eat the fins of the betta, eventually killing it, so choose between them..... females can be kept together, and are just as pretty; except the fact their fins are shorter..... tiger barbs are mean, and Ive seen them 4 inches, so I say that if you want a peaceful tank, delete the tiger barbs. there are exeptions though, but are very rare and in larger tanks.....

I've seen clown loaches 6 inches long, so use caution

angelfish are great, peaceful to other fish that they cant eat (they are surprisingly fast!), guppies will breed easily, and other livebearers are good, but your high activity setup MIGHT spook the angels, or stress the guppies..... swordtails, mollies and platies seem the best livebearers for your setup....

any more questions? glad to help!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right after posting this I read that Tiger Barbs can be very aggressive, so I will not buy any of them. I'll also get rid of the Goldfish. I was thinking I'd take a couple feeder Goldfish, just to rescue them from their horrible fate.

I also read that German Blue Ram Cichlids are peaceful fish, that do very well with school fish such as Danios. Is this true? If so, I would absolutely love to have a couple of them, as they are absolutely beautiful fish.

Around how long should I wait to stock my tank after it is all set up? A month? Two months? I'll wait as long as I have to to ensure the safety of the fish I put in.

How many fish can I put in my tank a week? In my old tank, I never put more than three or four.

Thank you very much for the help, I'm really looking forward to the new tank. I've always been fascinated by fish, I've owned tanks before, but never anything this nice. I'm having some friends who are good with aquariums help me set it up this weekend, they told me to get a couple Danios to break in the tank.

By the way, is your avatar a Featherfin Catfish? My friend owns one, and I love it.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Goldfish are not good, not just cause they are a coldwater fish but they make alot of ammonia, watch the pleco, unless you know waht the adult size will be when full grown, the common plecos you see in the stores will grow to bigger than 12". So make sure you research any fish you want to put in the tank. Tiger barbs can be a bit fin nippy but when kept in schools of 7 or more that tends to curve that action but the long fins of a betta may be to much for them to resist. Rams are a nice fish to have and do work will in a community tank.

As far as how long do you have to wait.... I would get your zebra danios and cycle the tank with them about 8 weeks, and then start adding you other fish a few at a time very week to give the bio colony time to catch up. when it come to decoration int he tnak thats a personal choice, however live plants will help manitain WQ in the tank. If you going to have live plant sand is not the best substate to use, 3 mm gravel works best to keep the plants anchored in the gravel and will not hurt the barbs on the corys. Also, you may want to put a mall school of otto cats in the tank with live plants instedad ot the pleco's. Plecos have been seid to eat the roots of the plants.

Watch the clown loachies as they get big and a 55 will not be big enought to house them and they really need to be in a school of at least 7 to show there natural behavoir. they do grow slow, and are commonly available.

For beginners the rulle of thumb for the amount of fish that can be housed is 1" of fish per 1 sq inch of water, and that is based on the adult size of the fish. So once agian it important to research the fish that you want to house.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for the help! I really appreciate it!

Of course I'll research every fish I'm going to add to my tank, I'll look each one up on here, and on other sites.

I've read that Otto Cats are good, so I'll probably pick some up.

I guess I'll stay away from the Clown Loaches, I've read that Yoyo Loaches don't grow nearly as big, so I'll do some research on them.

I'm going to put some live plants and driftwood in the tank. I've heard that some fish need hiding spots, so the driftwood should serve well as that. I'll also look for some artificial caves, as some fish may enjoy that.

I'm very happy to hear that Blue Rams can be put in Community tanks! I really like how they look.

One more question: Can I put a Red-Tailed Shark in my tank? I've always admired how they look, but I've heard that some are aggressive, and some aren't. Thanks again, I'm really happy to be getting some help.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
yes, arnold (the fish in my avatar) is a featherfin synodontis! I have it and another one that's a little smaller and light brown with dark spots......

red-taild sharks are another of my favorites, because if another fish bullies him, he remembers that one fish and bullies it back until it never bullies the shark again!!! after that, or if not bothered, they are peaceful. they will dart at other fish occationally, but nothing bad. by the way, only keep one in your tank, because they are VERY agressive to each other, but you can have more than one if you have a lot of hiding places for them to 'set up shop.' mine is in a cichlid community containing african cichlids and a couple central/south americans, and doing fine!!!

watch the rams carefully, as they can be fragile and territorial. I've never kept them alive long enough to see them really hurt another fish, but, like all cichlids, they will kill, given the chance..... in your tank, they shouldn't be able to hurt anyone, due to the other fish's speed, so all you have to worry abaut is their fragility, but it could just be my luck........

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The rams would be the last thing I add and it would be a year before that happened... they are fragile and would do best in a will estabished tank. redtail sharks and rainbow sharks can be used but onlly one fish is you try and have 2 they will fight unless they are a pair, breading is very rare in captivity but it has happened. I seen spawning with a pair I have but have never seen and fry.

·
Registered
24 Posts
yes goldfish suck lol. nasty nasty fish. zebra danios are great as well as the leopard danios. and try tetras like the cardinals, red serpas, golds, or even rummy nose tetras. all great in big schools. i have a 55 gallon also and i have a school of 20 cardinals and they are my favs. the tiger barbs are cool too but need to be kept in odd number groups of seven or more as they dont pair off and pick on other tank mates. i have had and kept them for long periods of time with cardinal tetras. also i dont know about any 4in tiger barbs but 3in are a definate. and careful with the pleco as you need algae to feed it and in a new tank there just really isnt any algae to feed on. and when you do get teh otos or chinese algae eaters as they stay small. and as richie said the rams are great fish to have. lots of character and personality with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot for the help guys! I think I'll do away with the Loaches because of their size, and I'll get rid of the Pleco for the same reason. The Male Betta has to go because the other fish will probably bully it, luckily I have a 10g tank set up with nothing in it, so I'll get a Male Betta and put it in there by itself. I'll replace the White Clouds with more Danios, I think the Danios like to be in schools as big as possible. The Blue Rams sound delicate, I may add some eventually, but much later. And of course, no Goldfish. Thanks again guys!

I think this is what the final tank is going to look like... I added an African Dwarf Frog. I had one in my old tank that lived for a couple years. He was so cute.

20 Zebra Danio
10 Peppered Cory
15 Tiger Barb
1 Red-Tailed Shark
1 African Dwarf Frog

Assorted plants, a big castle, some little caves, and maybe some driftwood. I'll upload pics a couple months from now when all is said and done!:)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Just a caution on the frog...n Frogs eat fish that are samller than them.... I beleave it is the 3 toed dwarf frog you will want to stay way from as the are aggressive. there is another Dwarf frog that works will but again will eat any fish it can fit in it mouth... it's difficult to select the right combination, so many factor to think about.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts