Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have been keeping aquariums, quite successfully, for about 15 years. A recent disaster, in which I lost a beloved 3+ year old Callichthys Callichthys has motivated me to join a good aquarium forum. Well, Ill just share some of my experience in the hobby

What jump started the hobby for me was when a buddy of mine gave me an oscar that his uncle could no longer keep. I put him into a 29 gallon, which he soon made look like a fish bowl. He then was put into a 55G, which again he soon made look like a fish bowl. A regret I made was keeping a single Pictus with him, which the oscar eventually bit in half. A good choice I made was keeping the Callichthys with him, which they got along incredibly well, even often "snuggling". Unfortunately, IMO, I failed to take good enough care of the Oscar, and I feel he died a little pre maturely, though he did live for at least 6 years and was quite happy through it all.

I also set up a 10 gallon. I had real bad luck with Kuhli loaches in that tank, but very good luck with Bettas. I generally kept 1 male and 2 females, and they kept breeding without me even trying! And, though a lot of the fry died, a few survived and 3 generations lived in that tank, the last being completely inbred but the male was a beautiful healthy fish. I put in a Chinese Algae eater, which to this day is alive and must be over 4 years old. The tank now has an adopted Gourami who is over 2 years old, and a single male Cherry barb that is over 2 years old. Some other losses were a few female Cherries, and somewhat recently a single adopted Tiger barb, but all lived decently long and always seemed happy.

Well, thats it for now. Ill save the rest for topics that include questions!

-Chris P

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site!
Hmmmmmm.....so you had 2 female bettas and 1 male betta and they would breed without you trying?-My 6yo cousin has 1 male and 3 females in a 2.5minibow-is there a chance that her bettas might breed?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts