Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I just picked up the hobby again recently. As a kid I used to keep a small tank or two with goldfish and what not. I was reading my apt lease papers and it said I could keep a small tank without a deposit so I thought...why not? Well a couple years later I moved and now I have a 20 gallon on a stand I built. Mainly a precursor to some bigger tank a couple of years down the line no doubt. Im a DIY type person so I'm sure i'll be on here quite a bit. haha

What brings me here today though are two plants that seem to be falling apart on me. Two aquatic swords. The Marble Queen Radican and the Amazon Sword. I have them in Flourite under flourescent grow bulb for about 16 hours a day. With a small heater but its a mild winter in South TX. Could it be a lack of CO2? I only have 3 small fish. I am going to read through the forums.

·
Inspired.
138 Posts
Sounds like you need some CO2 and fertilizer. But don't leave your lights on for 16 hours if you use CO2 and fertilizer, or you'll be battling some serious algae problems.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Amazon swords don't need Co2. It could just be that your light is on too long, or the wrong wattage/ color temp. Try reducing your light to 10hrs. You may also want to try root tabs.

What are the specs in the light?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yeah, 16 hours is waaay too long for plant lighting...they need darkness more that some think! The most I've heard of is 12 on, 12 off.

I have mine at 8, but I'm running a low light tank and just added plants 3 weeks ago. I'll be bumping it up to possibly 10 MAX.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! I've toned down the light time. The light i was using was said for grow applications but I went ahead and purchased an aquarium light that fit my fixture. its a GE F15T8 (small fixture) that is rated at 510 lumens which is less than I expected. Another spec I find peculiar is the "cri:" measurement at 90k. Am I to assume this is the temperature of 90kelvin? seems low compared to other bulbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts