Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found this forum and decided to join. I reside in VA. I am a Chef by trade and have been reefing since 1987. I currently have a 90gl SPS dominated tank with T5's lighting it. I also have a softie nano tank with mostly discoma and a very spoiled clown in it.

I've seen things come and go in the hobby. My first protien skimmer had a limewood stone in the bottom of it. Started lighting with PC's back in 87, graduated to MH w/ T5's and now run T5's over my SPS tank. Barebottom, DSB, Berlin and Ecoreef have all been methods that I have tried. Ca rx, balling, balling lite have all been part of my calcium supplementation.

LMK if I can be of help.

Take Care

Henry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At this point I am using the Balling Light Method. I have an Aquatronica controller and I am using a 3 part system that keeps up with Ca and Alk. The Ca has been steady at 450ppm and alk is at 7.5 dKH. I like to keep my tank at near Natural Salt Water parameters. I also test and dose for Potassium, Strontium and Iodine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It basically refers to automated supplementing with a 2 part Ca and Alk, then other trace elements that I listed above. In answer to your question, yes I est for and dose Mg also. The full blown method is quite tedious.

The "Balling method" is named after Hans-Werner Balling. It is a way to supplement your reef with calcium, sodium carbonate, magnesium, trace elements, and amino acids.
There seems to be different versions of this method ranging from Balling Full, Balling Light, Balling Complete, to Balling Complete plus. Most of the information is in German but a few sites are translated into English...

These are the sites I researched before starting

Heinz's Balling method: Aiptasia

Fauna Marin - Claude Schumacher's Balling Light: http://www.faunamarin.de/eng/manual_balling-methode.php

Ralph Prehn's Balling method: cashh.de chemistry

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site!

BTW, ive heard of the other 3 methods, but whats the ecoreef?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ecosystem aquarium method of growing calurpa in the refugium with their special "miracle mud". The miracle was what I paid them for the "mud" I should say that the system worked but not much different than running cheato and a DSB. The system does claim trace element support with the mud but I have run other tanks without it (the mud) with as much success.

I have done these methods because I have moved sevral times in the past decade or so. I am a chef by trade and have moved a few times.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Rose

1 - 10 of 10 Posts