Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently obtained an aquarium and I have been lurking about on these forums for a couple of weeks and today I signed up so I can begin posting. I have not had an aquarium since I was a child but my wife and I have discussed the idea for some time.

I have a 75 gallon tank, a Penn-Plax Cascade 1000 filter, a Gamma ultraviolet sterilizer and what is I assume all the other things I need to get started.

This setup was used with salt water before I got it and I am wondering if everything will be reusable with fresh water? My plan was to clean it up and set it up with nothing in the tank and let the system run for a few days with fresh water, changing out the water periodically. Will this be sufficient to make the change to fresh water?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome to the forum.It should be the main thing is make sure you get all the old salt out of the system.A little will not hurt the fish but it's better to be safe than sorry.After you get it going make sure to cycle the tank before adding any livestock!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site! if there is a tall, cylinder shaped filtration item that makes a bunch of bubbles (called a protein skimmer) u better remove it. protein skimmers work wonders for SW but are actually a bad thing to use in FW tanks.

Reactions: Joey and gbranton

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I haven't seen this setup actually run, so I don't know about the bubbles, but I Googled protein skimmers and I don't have anything that looks like that. The prior owner didn't actually have fish in the tank, just coral and a crab which I released into Mobile Bay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome,

When I did fresh water, I always went kind of brackish anyway...

Your on the right track, but change the media in your filter first. You want that to be fresh, and new. I would throw some carbon in your filter as well. That will help clear everything up.

What kind of fish are you looking to get?

If you are planning on putting anything else in there, (rocks, wood, ect) do that first, and let it sit for a few days. Then take a water sample in to your local fish store to have it tested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome,

When I did fresh water, I always went kind of brackish anyway...

Your on the right track, but change the media in your filter first. You want that to be fresh, and new. I would throw some carbon in your filter as well. That will help clear everything up.

What kind of fish are you looking to get?

If you are planning on putting anything else in there, (rocks, wood, ect) do that first, and let it sit for a few days. Then take a water sample in to your local fish store to have it tested.

Thanks for the advice on the filter. I have been thinking of fish that are easy for a beginner like me. I found this list of fish for beginners:

Beginner Fish: Tropical Fish for Beginners in Freshwater Aquariums

I like the German Blue Ram, the American Flag Fish, the Boesemani Rainbow, Cobra Guppies, Endler's Livebearers and Swordtails. What do you think of their list of fish for beginners?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good list. I'm a big fan of their site, and use them a ton. Their "facts" are usually dead on.

Stay away from pleco's until your tank starts growing algea, as they will die if you don't have any... It usually takes a few months for you to get a good consistant algea growth in your tank.

The biggest problem that beginners have is overfeeding. You really shouldn't feed your fish more than once a day, and only a tiny bit at a time. I feed my salt water reef about 5 times a week, just a tiny amount, about 6-10 pieces of aquadine (a mixture that I mix up custom based on my fish)

Just remember that typically your first few fish will end up in your tank for a long time (barring disaster) so pick ones you like.

Personally, I'm a fan of ciclid tanks, their bright colors are amazing, but that would be an aggressive tank, and you couldn't mix docile and aggressive...

Well, you could...

But, it would get ugly, quick!

Live aquaria always rates the fish, and their temperment. Use that as a guide.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
blue rams are very sensitive and are NO beginner fish at all! they would make a very cool addition if u use soft, acidic water, and wait till about 6 months-1 year after the tank has cycled to add them to the tank.

Reactions: Joey

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
blue rams are very sensitive and are NO beginner fish at all! they would make a very cool addition if u use soft, acidic water, and wait till about 6 months-1 year after the tank has cycled to add them to the tank.

Thanks for the adviice, any others on the list I should stay away from?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
killies are a little sensitive as well, so im gonna guess the AF fish isnt much of a beginners.

Reactions: Joey

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:welcome:
Thanks! Still researching and waiting. We desperately needed new flooring in our house. I figure that aquarium weighs around 800 pounds when filled, so it is best to get the floors done first. The good news is, we have saved up our money, picked tile and I am going to pay for it and get it delivered in the next couple of days. The first room I am going to do is the one the tank goes in, so maybe it won't be too much longer.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
*w2 Good to see you here, and as you can see we have a very friendly and helpful bunch of folks. Enjoy your stay.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I do not know if you need a sterilizer with your freshwater but I don't think it will hurt it. You will need to cycle the tank and hopefully without fish as it is easier on the fish. There are a few methods to choose from and they are varying in length of time and difficulty as well as expense. Those that are considered pretty much instant are usually the more expensive due to the shipping costs of the necessary solution with the only real advantage being that you can start having the fun of your fish the day you set the tank up with the solution but some of the others can be done in a matter of a couple of weeks for much less expense.

A good cleaning and lots of rinsing is going to be the major requirement.

I am not a fan of using any salt in a freshwater tank and I would not put Rams in that tank either. Bettas are definitely not going to fit in that tank at all in case you have any thought of putting one or so in there. They will not fit with the Swordtails or Guppies.

Rose

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I plan to cycle the tank without fish and take a couple of weeks to do it. As you can see I am not in a super hurry and I want to do it right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts