Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

new member here from western MA. I've been aquarium keeping for the past 6 months or so. I currently have two Freshwater tropical tanks. I'm planning a move soon, and will probably make a 55 gal saltwater tank after I do (Not worth setting up to take apart!). Anyways here's what I have now. I don't have any pictures currently. After I move I will take some.

Tank #1
20 Gal long
1 Marble`Angelfish
4 Red Eyed Tetra
1 Royal Farlowella
Some microsword and another plant which I can't identify.

Tank #2
10 Gal.
1 Dwarf Powder Blue Gourami
8 Brilliant Rasbora
2 Panda Cory Cats.
Another plant i can't identify :)

I know the 10 gal is a bit overstocked. But I originally had the gourami in with the angel, but the angel was always pestering him. I am running a 110 gal/hr canister filter in it, and everything seems ok. I do plan to eventually move everything into larger tanks. I'm still learning, so advice is always helpful. Sorry I went so long.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the Site! if u would like us to identify the unknown plants, post some pics!

Reactions: Joey

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum! Your name intrigues me and reminds me somewhat of the soundtrack to the film "La Valee".
That's where it comes from, Obscured By Clouds, my favorite Pink Floyd album! it also happens to be that soundtrack. Good catch!

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's where it comes from, Obscured By Clouds, my favorite Pink Floyd album! it also happens to be that soundtrack. Good catch!
You bet! One of my faves too. I'm a die-hard Floyd fan. Have you ever seen "The Valley"? Awesome film. I first saw it in a theater in the basement of the Park Plaza Hotel in NYC, back in the early 80s. A few years back, I found it on DVD. Good stuff!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the welcome! Here's a picture I took of my unknown plant in tank #2.

I never saw the film, but have been casually looking for it for years!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
i would think thats an amazon swordplant.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i would think thats an amazon swordplant.
It will outgrow this 10gal. aquarium then someday I take it (after looking it up). I don't have anything special substrate or co2 system, will this be a problem? Can I cut that shoot growing off to the right and plant it in another location (or tank)? . Someone bought the plant for me as a present, I didn't really plan to get any yet.

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Yep that is a sword, in fact the one that is planted is most likely part of that shoot. I would wait awhile till the new plant on the shoot gets some nice roots before removing it. If you cut it off now, lots of times they wont root and die.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
*w2 Really nice list of fish. Glad you decided to join us, we really enjoy new faces here.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I would not worry too much about the plant. I have had those in as small a tank as a 5 gallon and it took a long time for them to outgrow them.

Welcome to the forum. I hail originally from MA myself in the Waltham area but have not been back in years. I miss the coast though, now live in the Central States. I will have to say life is not so crazy here.

The tanks sound lovely and the fish sound well suited for each other and you did the smart thing seperating the angel and gourami. Both are territorial and like to be the "big dog" in the tank.

I do hope you enjoy it here as much as I have done. Thanks for joining us.

Rose
:betta:

Reactions: Joey

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I have now moved. I have a 29 gal. (replace the 20L) that contains my angelfish, school of 10 rasboras and the royal farlowella. Here's a current picture of my angel "Sam".

Still haven't had the time (or money) to setup the SW tank, so it will sit in the basement for a while.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts