Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Noob with a Biocube
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah yeah it's spelled Jersey, but who really cares? Anyways, I got into this hobby because of my 5 year old. We were shopping at Pet Smart for some FW fish as I had inherited a 6 gal tank from a friend of mine. That's when I saw it, a Biocube 29 on display all dusty.

After talking to the Manager to reduce the price (the 10k bulb was blown and the Actinic had some flicker) for both the Tank and Stand by $200 I snatched it.

It's a great hobby, but I'll be damned if it isn't a drain on the wallet at times.

Since getting it I've only added 5 fish (3 assorted Damsels and the obligatory Clowns) about 6 turbos and 2 narcissus snail and 3 Scarlet Hermits. As for Corals I'm starting out with some Diehards; a colony GSP, colony of Button Polyps and a rather sickly looking Mushroom looking leathery Coral (I have no clue what it is :p )

I run a Phosban reactor 150 (after a little modification to the hood) that's powered by a 245 gph utility pump and a CPR SR3 Skimmer. 40 lbs of live sand and about 20 lbs of crushed coral make up the sand bed with about 25 lbs of live rock round out my substrate. The Bio Balls have been tossed out and there is no other filtering media. I do however have on order some Seachem Purigen and am replacing the stock pump with Maxi-jet 1800 475 gph.

A Koralina 1 powerhead and Hydor FLO Rotating Water Deflector round out the water flow.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Welcome aboard, nothin like jumpin in with both feet lol, but never fear Dr Hank will be right there for ya all the way :)

·
The Noob with a Biocube
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, though I think I've just had a massive die off of my cleanup crew :( I suspect Osmotic shock as I had a bit of an accident when it came to my Phosban reactor mod for my biocube. The return line from the reactor going into my Skimmer disconnected while I was away from the house for about 2 hours.

This having come from a massive water change (about 80%) due to runaway nitrate levels that I now suspect is due to the filter floss that was in the Skimmer.

So I get home and the water level is minus the 15 or so gallons that I had just put in.

So far 2 snails are Hermit food and another 3 are sticking to the live rock and tank, but as of Sunday they haven't moved much.

Welp, at least the Hermits and the Narssie's get to have a buffet.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Welcome and thanks for joining us. I envy anyone who has the ability to start SW tanks I am too chicken.

Rose
:)

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
welcome to the site...sounds like a good setup. why not post pics on the post or another post

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site! In your post, i read "assorted damsels"-those guys usually get EXTREMELY aggressive(especially the 1s that are black with neon blue flecks and stripes) and usually become duller and duller with age as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts