Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel a little like a fish out of water being that I haven't had an aquarium since I was little and my mom was taking care of it!

At the moment I have a boyu 26lt tank with one calico gold fish and a 120lt tank with two red eared sliders.

I'm hoping to setup a saltwater tank in the future or a fresh water tank with colorful fish (I don't know what yet). :) Maybe I'll get a BETTA SPLENDENS those are lovely!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks :) I read a post about how one member successfully mated a female and a male and I realized how much pet shops mis-inform...I was told that bettas can be bought (and live together harmoniously) in pairs of female and male and that male bettas can also live with these little tiny fish that glow especially in low light (I don't know their names). The member said that males must be kept apart from females! I'm definitely going to do a lot of research beforehand! :)

I just found out what they are called: neon tetras!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My real dream is to have a tank with tropical fish especially clown fish but I know it's way out of my league! What's the minimum sized tank for clown fish anyway? I'll have to look it up :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
My real dream is to have a tank with tropical fish especially clown fish but I know it's way out of my league! What's the minimum sized tank for clown fish anyway? I'll have to look it up :)
no it is not way out of your league! everyone says SW is difficult, but there wrong! a quality reef-tank will cost u just as much as a heavily planted FW tank. clowns can be kept in as small as 8 gallons.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured it would be too difficult to preserve a tropical aquarium for a beginner. Clown fish get pretty big, I was told that a small aquarium would stunt their growth.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
2 inches is too big?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
well the classic clownfish don't(Amphiprion ocellaris and A. percula)

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Bettas are not really IMHO community fish as they are raised as solitary fish. They do not know company manners and sometimes develop the idea that they are the only ones allowed in "their" water. So they tend to be territorial. But it does depend on the betta. So you may be lucky and get one that will do well. But it is always wise when dealing with them to have a back up tank in case someone needs to be removed from the tank to prevent a disaster.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for joining us.

Rose

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Welcome to the site. I will say that goldfish and bettas are not really compatible as one is a Tropical fish and the other a cool water fish. The goldfish is a much more high waste producing fish and needs a large tank to accomodate its large waste production and a betta would find it hard to live in those conditions.

Hopefully you can find some other fish that would be more compatible or a bigger tank for your gold fish. He will need one eventually anyway.

Thank you for joining us.

Rose

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
No bettas cannot be kept together in pairs as a male and female and breeding bettas is probably one of the toughest fish to breed due to the equipment needed and the care before and after the spawning. It takes a lot of time, effort, money, and room to house and care for the fry after they are hatched. This is not a job for those who do not have experience in the field and it is a discouraging job where a lot of the time one or both parents end up injured or possibly dead if you do not know what you are doing.

While I am not saying you cannot do it, I am just giving you the risks and telling you that experienced breeders generally have staffs of people working to keep these problems from being a major problem. And the chances of a betta spawning being a money making deal are slim to none. The market is now glutted with less than show quality bettas and very few that are the product of spawnings get to be show quality.

It is also a hard job to cull those who are not up to standard and an expensive job to keep them and feed them if you cannot use them. Just not something for most people to take on.

Rose

1 - 14 of 14 Posts