Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum Members

Hope you guys are well. I'm a newbie in the aquarium world and really need some help. I have had my beginners aquarium for 5 weeks now and have lost several fish which is really heartbreaking. I have done everything I can think of. I have the water temperature at 22 with a small heater. I test the water every week and it is as close to perfect readings as it could be. I feed the little guys daily about enough to last them 5 minutes. I have bought a top quality filter for the tank size. I have put sea shells in there and two small real plants (which they've eaten the leaves off). I originally had 2 black moors and 2 fantails. The black moors and the smaller fantail died within a week. I then bought 2 comets (silver ones) and the one died within a week. I then put in a normal gold comet. Just as the tank seemed to be settling. The remaining 3 swimming really happily my second comet died after 3 weeks in the tank. Please can anyone tell me what could be the matter. I've put medication in there in case of disease and still my second Comet died.
I'm really loving having the fish but feel a little cursed here. Any help would be much appreciated. I don't know the size of the tank exactly. It came as a starter pack and is about 2 feet long by a foot wide.

Thanks for your help and hope to post better news soon :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
First of all I want to say *w2 to the forum. Second, I'm sorry you're having a hard time and sorry about the fish. :( And third, Goldfish are coldwater fish so if your water is warm, that could be what's making them die.

My last guess, since goldfish are big waste producers, I would say that the fish are producing more waste then the bacteria can consume therefor returning to the tank, and killing the fish. *frown

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Welcome to the site, and hope you can find the answers you need.

As said above goldfish are a cooler water fish. They will eat plants, that is one of their favorite foods. Also with that many goldfish you have a lot of waste being produced. How often do you do water changes? With gold fish I would suggest 20% a couple of times a week making sure its dechlorinated and the same temp.

What kind of tests do you use. Liquid or strips? Strips are usually not accurate in my opinion. Can you give us readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. It will make it easier for us to give better advice.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes, that is my opinion as well. Test strips are not usually accurate....I agree.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses. I am using strips. The nitrates and nitrite readings are zero (white). I didn't know there were other testing methods. Is this liquid you mentioned available in most pet stores? I will definately start changing the water more often and switch off the heater. I'll keep you posted on the progress of the two remaining fish. I certainly won't get any more for now. How many should I keep in this tank. The most I had were 4 (2 fantails and 2 small black moors). Now I just have one fantail and one gold comet.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Your tank is probably overstocked as well. It does not sound like it is big enough for the number of fish you are keeping in it. Since goldfish are heavy waste producers compared to regular Tropical fish, they really require about twice the amount of room in a tank than the Tropicals. The general rule that I have heard said for goldfish is 30 gallons for the first fish and 10gallons for each additional fish after that. I am guessing from the size you have given us the capacity of your tank is about 15 gallons or a bit less.

I do want to welcome you to the forum and thank you for joining us and I am so glad you enjoy your fish. Please know that each and everyone of us has been in your place at some time. It is heartbreaking to keep losing pets that we care about and I am so sorry that you are having trouble.

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Actually you can have 2 fancies in that tank. Comets will get a foot at least. If you want 4 goldfish I would get a 50 gal for them. Comets don't belong in tanks unless you are looking at 100 gal or more so best left for the ponds.

Liquid test kits are usually available at most pet stores. Or you can take some water from the tank and they will check it for you. But for the moment Just do water changes on it at least every couple of days.

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
Welcome.

How big of a tank?

sounds to me like you have too many fish and are simply trying too hard.

Once a tank is established, sometimes the best thing to do is just leave it alone.

But that's just me and my .02

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
*w2 to the forum, glad you found us, and hope you enjoy this place as much as we do.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
All the advice given above is definitely good to follow. Overstocking is one of the biggest problems with goldfish. They don't look like they would need as much space as they do, but that's mainly because of their high level of waste production. Bi-weekly or more water changes will help a lot with that. Best of luck; I'm sure things will turn around soon.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site! goldfish are much more delicate than people think-but from what i see ur tank wasn't cycled!*J/D**n1

asap, go to your pet store and look at the water chemistry. look for the api freshwater master test kit. buy it. should cost no more than $30. test the ammonia first. if it is higher than 0ppm, that means your tank is not cycled yet. since u put fish in before the cycle started, the cycle will take longer. try getting some live aquatic plants(they will help the cycle go faster, but be sure u have the right lighting for the certain plant u buy!) and remove those seashells! they release high amounts of calcium and raise the ph too high for goldfish. 2 feet by 12 feet is either a 15gallon or a 20 gallon High. too small for goldfish, but if u really like the shells u could do some research and see if u want shell-dwelling cichlids-something that would be a good candidate for that size tank and would be ok with seashells., but ive never seen them at my pet store. but let your tank cycle first!

·
Registered
143 Posts
petlover516, please elaborate on how Goldfish are much more delicate than people think and in what ways?

·
Registered
724 Posts
I think what petlover is referring to is the fact that the perception of goldfish is that they can survive in a mucky fish bowl with no water changes and do just fine. A lot of people buy goldfish because they think they're easy fish to take care of that don't need good water quality and that they'll live through anything. But they require just as much care as other fish do. They eat a lot and consequently produce a lot of waste so their water needs to be changed quite often. They also prefer colder water than you would expect them to like. They like eating leafy greens and prefer them to many other foods, a dietary preference that is often overlooked, so they don't always get the nutrients they need to be healthy.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I think what petlover is referring to is the fact that the perception of goldfish is that they can survive in a mucky fish bowl with no water changes and do just fine. A lot of people buy goldfish because they think they're easy fish to take care of that don't need good water quality and that they'll live through anything. But they require just as much care as other fish do. They eat a lot and consequently produce a lot of waste so their water needs to be changed quite often. They also prefer colder water than you would expect them to like. They like eating leafy greens and prefer them to many other foods, a dietary preference that is often overlooked, so they don't always get the nutrients they need to be healthy.
thank u

1 - 18 of 18 Posts