Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I live in Calgary Alberta, Canada and am looking forward to learning and growing in this hobby..... hobbies? Not sure yet since there seems to be quite of bit overlap lol.

I have wanted a large aquarium forever, since I was a child really and was recently gifted my first "large" tank kit. Just the tank (55gal), one bot filter, heater, and lid with led lights. I have 2inches of sub in it already and need to add more since I am hoping to solve water changes with heavy planting.

I had a semi successful 20 tall guppy tank years ago, but this gives me so many directions my hyper-fixating little brain can go in lol.

Anyway, as I said, looking forward to learning, growing, and "meeting" everyone here too.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for replying. :) I was hoping this would be a more active forum than the other's I have found so far. I had a tank years ago and was going by that old information when setting up the 55 gallon I am currently working on and so have already made a few mistakes - including cycling properly (newer more effective ways), and thus already have 11 fish in it. 55 gallons for 8 guppies and 3 platie's. Hopefully the huge water volume will save them from too much stress while I am trying to get things going/cycling properly.

I have another thread posted about that also. Hopeing to hear something about that soon too. :)

· Registered
414 Posts
Hello and welcome.
Since you are already into your cycle with fish in you should get yourself a denitrifyer. (sp?)
I cannot remember the name of the one I used but my fish came through just fine with that additive.
Absorbs nitrite and ammonia if I am not mistaken.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello and welcome.
Since you are already into your cycle with fish in you should get yourself a denitrifyer. (sp?)
I cannot remember the name of the one I used but my fish came through just fine with that additive.
Absorbs nitrite and ammonia if I am not mistaken.
Hello Gamegurl, Thank you. :)

I have several spots of moss and quite a few live plants already. I was hoping they would take care of any nitrogen? I will be picking up a testing kit in the next several days so will be able to track that. I've only had the tank up for about 5 days, and only 3 days with fish. 55 gallons and only 11 small fish. I am hoping I am going slow enough with it :/

Seems I have a lot more to learn. I researched. I promise I did lol.

· Registered
66 Posts
I was told from a different forum to forgo the fish full cycle. I agree with them, as the ammonia and nitrate will spike and thus, it will be very very bad. Don't add more fish please. It's not going to end well. Fortunately the fish you have are small and inexpensive. Don't add more fish please. I'm in support of Fish-less cycling because of Ammonia levels.

· Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
8,773 Posts
You're suggesting very sensitive fish that I would only introduce to a well-established tank I've cycled many tanks and a well cycled tank will take 6 weeks or more and I have fully stocked once done, cycling with ammonia will finish with enough bacteria that will cycle 4ppm ammonia to zero in 24 hours., which is more than most moderately stocked tanks will produce.
I have been keeping and breeding fish for more than 60 years. Some very delicate fish at that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts