Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
The only real way it happens is you receive a supposed gift from someone who gives you a $2 NYC Chinatown turtle and 5 years later you find yourself on an aquarium board needing to wrangle with advanaced filtration concepts because nothing short of a nuclear plant turbine system can suck the waste out of the tank fast enough. So, happy holidays everyone, and I look forward to meeting some people here who might offer some advice and experience with advanced filtration systems. - Mark

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I have fun posting on the forum.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Mark, same here took in a 5 year old red ear slider from the chinatown market.got it in a 10g tank now its in a 40B with a fluval 303 canister on it, twice a month partial water changes are great when it comes to a turtle.

Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Lol the other day my friend called me trying to pawn off 2 red ear sliders, he ended up putting the in the pond in the park.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Mk, hope he wasnt watched, each one of those turtle can turn into $500 each via USEPA. plus court costs and attorney costs. Its against federal law to return any aquatic life back to nature after being captured and/or raised captive. I called the illinois DNR to ask them they told me the above.

·
Registered
719 Posts
LOL i didnt do it, my friend did, but either way we thought about it and decided that it wouldnt cause any harm to the eco system considering that the pond was filled with red ears and painted turtles already. He found them on the lawn infront of his appartment building which is close to the park so the odds are the turtles were just getting returned back to where they came from.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Very much so but as a conservationist myself even then you dont return, most animals do not do well once humans have intervened and cared for their every need. even wild animals we find in distress must be taken to a wildlife management area where they are rehabbed then turned loose on the farms property for years before reintroduction to the wild.

i know its not you but it can be a very expensive situation for a person.

·
Registered
78 Posts
WELCOME
Hey I just welcomed someone who's been on here for a year!

I have always thought it would be cool to have a giant terrarium/aquarium/herbarium/waterfall/imitation creek in the front room...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts