Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new here but I thought I would come talk to some other people who have fish.

I just got my first fish tank on the weekend and I love it! I was at the pet store buying some wood chips for my hamster when I thought, Hey I want some fish. Talked to the pet store guy and bought a nice 10 gallon starter kit.

I have some awesome neon blue gravel and a pirate ship in there and yesterday got my first fish! I looked around every tank and picked out the ones I liked the best.

I got one chinese fighting fish and named him Micro. He is green and blue colored, real nice! I got an angelfish, because they are nice looking too. I also got 2 of these cool looking fish called clown loaches. I really like them, I call them Beebop and Rocksteady. And I got a pleco because the pet store guy said that he will keep my algae clean.

Anywho, just thought I would share with some other fish lovers. I love my fish! Almost as much as Mr.Fluffles (My Hamster!).

Cheers

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome to the fish world.

rule number one... don't listen to the salesmen. they will sell you as many fish as possible without regard to stocking levels, compatibility, or space requirements. Your tank is overstocked for such a new tank and you may have some aggression issues with the angel fish and betta. its not the end of the world, but watch them closely for illness and stress and change out a gallon of dechlorinated water every three days for a week or two.

the key to everything with fish is patience.
Have fun!

side note: your pleco will likely look like the one in my avatar eventually (but not anytime soon).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow! that fish is as big as my tank! what is overstocked? the same fish store guy said 1 inch per gallon. Fighting Fish = 2.5", Clown loaches =1.5"x2, Angel = 2" and Pleco = 2" thats around 9.5".

But I guess they grow bigger...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Welcome to the forum.... and welcome to the hobby.....you are really over stocked, for a 10 gal tank..... But you can fix that later.... My concern is the tank has not cycled yet and you have an over stock to start with. You will most likely need to do a 10% water change (WC) daily, without vacuming the rocks, just get any food particles out. Cycling a tank is a naturel process where nitrates are converted into nitrites, which are less harmful to the fish. Nitrates will kill your fish if they get to strong, test daily and when it reads 20 you will need to do a WC. If you need any advice or just have a question, your in the right place

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
They term overstocked refers the bio-load and size a fish will reach. 1 ipg is a starting point, that people use that is simple to understand but what he did tell you was it was for the adult size of the fish. When you get into some fish require more space than others, some hang out at differnt levels in water. Some fish make more waste than others.... the pleco you have creatate alot of waste, to the point I seen them clog up an intake on the filter, with waste. On the other hand some fish its almost nonexsistant, like the oto cat (which are a small algea eater only grow to 1/2 to 1 inch). you should go and get your self a complete water test kit. So you can test your water daily....

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I agree with everything thats been stated so far. On a new tank, you need to start slowly!!! It'll be a learning experience but with the advice of others, it'll be much easier for you. You did the right thing joining the site and posting, hope to hear about your success and any questions you have keeping the fish. Cheers!

·
Registered
139 Posts
your anglefish will nip at the fighting fishes tail....my fighting fish disappeared and my anglefish was smiling......that is a lot of fish for a 10 gallon. i have a 75 gallon and only had 8 fish in it. now im down to one silverdllar fish.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome A Board! (pun intended) I absolutely identify with a burgeoning fishy lover. I made the same novice mistake with my first 10 gallon. It isn't the end of the world. Just the fact that you've joined a forum is a BIG step in the right direction. What I learned was that I needed to read, read, ead....and then read some more.then ask some more experienced hobbyist. <grin>

One bit of advice in general. Every person and every tank is different. YES by all means learn about the nitrification cycle, how to clean and maintain your tank, and other bits of wisdom. BUT (yeah we all have one) Remember that your tank is for your enjoyment. You'll make some mistakes. As long as you continue to enjoy it, and sort of roll with the punches and learn. It's ALL GOOD!

I've been on other forums where fish talk and opinions begin to resemble discussions about religion! I've found the folks here warm, welcoming, and gentle about offering you advice. Glad you've join in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums. Hope you enjoy your tank as much as I enjoy mine. And don't worry, everyone makes mistakes ( I've made some MAJOR ones).

Love the clown loaches!!! They will run up and down the sides of the tank and look like they are playing tag!!

Good luck and have fun with your new tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts