Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody i am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone owned a oceanic 29 gal biocube? I put one on layaway at my lfs with the stand and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the product and what i can do to keep it running the way it should when i brought it home after i set it up.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Welcome aboard Josie!
I don't have that nanoreef but will be happy to give advice if you have any specific questions. Basically just make good decisions from here forward is the best advice you could get now. Also patience is Rule #1! Stock the tank slowly, make adjustments slowly, etc.
Hope you enjoy the forum and looking forward to reading about your experiences and questions.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i have been doing the hobby for almost a year but i had to start over cause i moved but then we moved back so i have to start all over again. the bio cube was going to be my next project that is why i wanted to get feedback on it for the heads up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Welcome to the boards Josie.

The only problem with the bio-cube that i can think of is that it is hard to find a good skimmer for it (if you decide to use a skimmer). Other than that just keeping up with water changes and changing filter media you should be good. You may need an extra powerhead or two for additional movement if you go with coral.

HTH

Reactions: nicco0315

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got the protein skimmer for the bio cube where can i find a good power head that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
should i just make a sump for the bio cube because there is no way i am going to be able to fit that filter on the bio cube and close the lid. but if i do that it defeats the purpose of extra flow. uh frustrating but i will find a way.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
never mind I did a search and found some that will fit perfect. thanks to everyone for the great advice and you will be hearing from me with updates and more questions to help this hobbyist. TTFN

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
now i purchased the salt to make my mix. The Red Sea salt. is that salt a really good salt to mix and I forgot how much salt to use when making the mix. if i remember right it is 1/2 a cup of salt for each gallon of RO water. I heard of people using regular sea salt you buy at a store and that mix is 1 cup for each 5 gallons of RO water. Is that just as good or should i just stick with the salt that is made for aquariums like the red sea salt i bought?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
when i get one what should the readings be and how do i use one. when i started the last tank i had it didn't do do well because i didn't know as much as i know now which isn't much. but i do have a little knowledge.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Ya thats what we're here for, no worries..
It's a plastic device that holds water. First follow the directions on the salt mix to mix the amount you need. Run it in a bucket or whatever container you are using with the water and a pump so its totally mixed up. Then dip the hydrometer in the water and fill it to the line. It will have a swing that floats up and gives a reading, you want the salt level somewhere between 1.023 or 1.025, like in that range for a reef. Many people have great success at 1.025 when keeping live corals... fish you can have it slightly less salty. When you fill the device to the line with water, tap it on the side of the bucket to make sure there are no air bubbles sticking to the swing, otherwise those would give you an inaccurate reading. Here's what they look like:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts